Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Anyone with a GoPro or similar?

anyone here have a GoPro, Contour or similar "action camera"?

i'd like to hear some general experiences with those, including the software they come bundled with...

thnx!

I've got an older version of the GoPro wide angle. I really like it. No software at that time. The camera saved video/pictures to the SD card, then you import those to your own video editing software. Easy stuff.

Pros:

- Takes fairly decent pictures and video

- Rugged

- Love the wide angle lense

- Long battery life

- Lots of different ways to attach it to different things and craft

- Waterproof

Cons:

- Camera "interface" sucks. The "icons" that tell you what mode you're in are almost impossible to read in sunlight and without a magnifying glass. For that reason I usually only do videos with mine. Trying to go between different modes I have deleted all the images/video on mine a few times (this may be fixed with newer models?)

- SD card hard to get in and out of camera

- I also have the 50mm lense version. Way too shakey for mountain biking and four-wheeling. I am going to try to sell it on Ebay soon. I would stick with the wide angle lense if that's the what you want to do with it

- Camera can have trouble going quickly between shade and sunlight

That's my 0.02 cents

I have had mine (HD HERO 2 by GoPro) for about 2 years now. Picked it up at the SEMA show for $100 of retail at that time. Since then I have added the display (LCD Backpac) which gives you a better idea of where you are aiming at if using the camera for still shots. On the last trip (Cherry Creek Rd) I used it to shoot nothing but stills. Just pointed and pushed the shutter release. I'd say my pictures were not very good at all. Prior (Maze District) I have had it mounted to my windshield with the suction cup mount and to my front bumper with an adhesive fixed mount; worked great. I don't like having to get out of the vehicle to start and stop the video recording. It does a great job and battery life is about 3 hours with the extra battery mount attached (2 batteries in parallel - Li-ion rechargeable battery with housing -Battery Backpac). They now have a remote control (WiFi Remote Combo kit) for the system and I am looking to purchase that. My plans have been to put the camera on a turret and mount to the top of the Jeep. With a remote control for the turret and now for the camera it might be easier to catch the scenery. Still need to figure out how to get the video down to my monitor so I can see what I am aiming at while recording. This has not been a high priority of late so the project has suffered.

I use couple of 32GB SD cards - expensive $100 for the fast ones and you definitely want the fastest write access. I find it hard to get around to downloading the videos - lazy. It takes lots of space on my iMAC and lots of time to download these large files. I use the built-in iMovie to edit and create the videos. I also have a Mac Air and downloading to it just does not work well as it does not have the disk space. I see they now have video editing software but have not looked into what it really can do or why I would want to spend money for that. Right now I am looking at getting the next generation HERO 3 as a second camera; maybe install one up front and one facing rear or under the vehicle. With the remote that might make it more fun to play with.

For some reason, my nephew Spencer (10 yrs. old) knows more about his GoPro 2 features/benefits than I do about mine for 2 years. There I said it.

curbjumper...looking for an "on" blinky thingy. :cool:

I just ordered the a GoPro Hero3 White (basic) version. It's my Christmas present though, so I don't get to play with it til then. :(

I got the Hero3 since it has built in Wifi, and you can (soon) use your Android or Apple phone/tablet to control the camera and see it's video. I believe you'll be able to do that with the Hero2 (with Wifi backpack) also.

Note that the Hero3 is brand new, so I couldn't find it at any resellers (like Amazon) so I ordered directly from GoPro (in stock shipped the next day).

Hero 2. Love it. Have wide angle lens that sometime appears as a fish eye. :( I have not used it for stills. I like it. Would you like to borrow it to play with?

thanks for the feedback fellas, couple more questions for all of you...

did you consider alternatives like the Contour or ReplayXD before buying the GoPro? if so, what made you choose the GoPro?

thanks!

GoPro was the first one I found and it seemed like it would do what I wanted at a reasonable cost, so I went with it.

I too had been looking for a camera system. I had played with using security cameras but they just don't get the resolution I was seeking. I had never seen these Contour or Relay XD1080 before until you posted. I like their small package. All seem to be in the same price range including mounting methods. I seem to see more of the Go Pro systems on the car shows when they are filming for TV. With the Go Pro you get water proof cases unlike the Relay HD1080 which says their camera is water resistant. Contour looks intersting. Maybe I will mount one under the Jeep. :eek:

In case u have an iPhone? I remember that there was a weatherproof case to use it in a similar fashion.