Sign in to follow this  
Dino

IRO 3" lift kit for 2004 WJ

Hi,(trust I've posted to the correct place :) )

i've been doing some research/pricing of lift options for my WJ.

the IRO 3" looks to be pretty much what I want (see link below)

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-W_3LK&Category_Code=PFW

It appears it will clear 32"/265's with minimal if any cutting, also there is a right hand drive adjustable track bar available.

Plus the kit appears to be great value for money...

As my plan is to create a reliable, cross country tourer, with some enhanced off-road ability,

My questions are?

1) does any one have experience of this kit, what is it like on road?

2) i know nothing about the shock absorber options, but the Bilstein 5125 upgrade sounds like it might be worthwhile

as Australian tracks have some RUGGED corrugations and they can be BRUTAL on shocks,

any one have thoughts on that?

and finally...

3) my original plan was a 2" lift, but that appeared to be too restrictive re tyre combo's

I've looked at the 4" front only long arms but feel thst would end up too high for what I want, Daily Driver/tourer

Any thoughts or advice about other heights/manufacturers etc that you think might be suitable would be appreciated.

Thanks

I had the iron rock 4in long arm conversion when I had my wj. Loved it! Thinking back, I was about to get the Double steering stabilizers from kevins off road. I had nasty death wobbles :) also I would get the adjustable track bar. and whatever you do stay away from the Track bar extension! Unless u can weld that thing on it was one of the worst things to experience when it broke!!!!

I think the wobbles were from loose parts that I was always re-tightening every time I went out on trails and long road trips. Plus I took off the sway bars off front and back.

With the 4in, I seriously think 33s would have fit perfectly.

As far as shocks... The bilsteins were what I would have liked had I kept it.

Don't forget the bumpstops. Iron rock has them and they really helped me out in trying to get the right ones. Also, the (I forgot what they were called?) spring clamps. I had a lot of flex and those things saved me a few headaches.

Over all, i had initially had the rough country 4in lift and I hated it. Super rough! When I put the long arm upgrade up front it was smooth sailing.

Hi Dino. Have you made any progress with your set up yet?

Hey Dino,

Im new to the site but I currently have the IRO 4" kit and as it has served me for the last few years there is not much adjustability in the kit that know of. My kit still used the stock control arms that already had the miles on them. When you lift the 3 or 4 inches it changes the ride quality a ton. I have upgraded to upper and lower adjustable control and still rides bad. I wish I would have spent the money up front on a clayton LA kit instead of spending roughly the same amount of money over a longer period of time and then upgrading to the long arm which I am going to do here very soon. Its a good kit but it has its drawbacks. If you are looking for a reasonable priced lift and still want to keep it short armed take a look at Zone Offroad. They at least include new arms. Hope the info helps.

Hi Guys thanks for your Q's & information.

The jeep project has been put on hold due to

some unexpected domestic expenses stealing my

suspension money.

But reading your input Tucson it might be that I've saved some money???

Trouble is it's a jeep, so every few months something goes belly up

and swallows the hard earned beforeI can think upgrade :(

To be honest at the moment I'm wonding if i might not be better off

to bite the bullet and get some thing like this.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/NISSAN-PATROL-13980790

Not cheap but maybe it wont keep breaking?

Whadya think guys?

Hi Guys thanks for your Q's & information.

The jeep project has been put on hold due to

some unexpected domestic expenses stealing my

suspension money.

But reading your input Tucson it might be that I've saved some money???

Trouble is it's a jeep, so every few months something goes belly up

and swallows the hard earned beforeI can think upgrade :(

To be honest at the moment I'm wonding if i might not be better off

to bite the bullet and get some thing like this.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/NISSAN-PATROL-13980790

Not cheap but maybe it wont keep breaking?

Whadya think guys?

First and MOST important is knowing whether your current vehicle is able to capably and reliably handle the roads/trails you want to now? If so, why change it? If not, what is it not capable of, or what reliability problems are you experiencing which you wish to overcome?

As for the customized Nissan, with the GM diesel conversion, I can only tell you that I would have to have some SERIOUS doubts about such a vehicle, from the standpoint of it being an engine/drivetrain conversion. SOME (a few) of these types of conversions are well done, and well documented. However many (most) are no where nearly as well constructed, nor documented, nor are they in most cases, as reliable as OEM.

Documentation of it's build will become CRITICAL, in that with out it, parts will become problematic to locate, unless you have VERY good documentation records of every part that was used in the conversion. Imagine going into a parts house 200 miles from home, and asking for a fuel filter, or U-joint, or radiator hose, etc. etc... Unless you had the part number, or the application of each of those things with you, you'd likely be in a pinch...:(

X2, OB is right on. George:cool:

I have the IRO 4 inch long arm kit, and its served me really well. I've never had any part of my lift fail. I need to replace a few parts right now, sure, cause I've wheeled the crap out of it AND daily driven it everyday. My WJ really has taken quite a beating in its time. I wouldn't say my ride quality changed much at all once I got my 31s on either. You can make adjustments to improve all that, and on top of that I have the rough country shocks. Even my 65 year old mother has ridden in it and she doesn't mind the ride quality!

I wasn't saying that the 4" IRO kit is a bad kit. I think my biggest problem is that I went with the deuchtec shocks offered with the kit and think that may be part of my problem, way to stiff for a WJ. I do wish I had looked ahead farther as to what I wanted my WJ to become and how I was going to get there. The IRO kit is good and has also served me well for over 3 years, I just wish I would have gone with the Clayton LA kit instead. At this point the only thing I still have installed from the kit is the track bar and the springs, everything else has been upgraded trying to chase issues with ride quality (mostly DW). That being said, it is a good kit and it will serve you well just think about where you want to end up with your build.