Sign in to follow this  
SSRx7

Exploring Southern Arizona in my Jeep (Pic HEAVY!)

Hello all. I am new to this site and it looks like the type of place I've been looking for. I enjoy exploring more than rock crawling. I have taken alot of pics from around the area I live. I usually take pics of my jeep in different places, but there are some scenic pics without my jeep in them as well. Here are a few for your enjoyment.

I'd like to keep this as an on going thread as I explore, and will post new pics and trip reports in replies. (Mods, if this is too much, I can change it so not so picture heavy.)

The first two are at the base of the Whestone mountains just above Sands Ranch.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19474;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19476;image

This is taken at some old gravel pits about 2 miles from my house:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19529;image

I live on the Babokamari River, west of Tombstone. In alot of areas the river runs underground, but in the summer time, during the monsoon season, the dry areas of the river can run over 6 feet deep. This is a common site around our area:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19760;image

The old Arizona / New Mexico Railroad used to run from Fairbank, Az, to Nogalas, Az, and disects our property in half. One day, my boys and I followed the old rail bed for a few miles west of our house:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19762;image

This is our front yard. The Babokamari River runs right through the middle of our property and is about 30 feet from our front porch:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19811;image

Here is the river during monsoons from our front porch, and the next two are how it looks at normal level:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19925

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19928;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=19953;image

In the Whetstone Mountains:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20145;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20148;image

This is where I grew up, and my parents still live (Their property is inside the park):

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20204;image

This is the state land that is right next to our property:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20222;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20223;image

And some more trails nearby:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20237;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20238;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20240;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20243;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20245;image

Last week, I drove up to Miller Canyon in the Huachuca Mountains. I have not been up there before, so I figured I would go see how well it survived the Monument fire last year:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20256;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20257;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20258;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20253;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20255;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20259;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20260;image

After that, I drove down to the Ghost town of Hereford. This was a rail stop on the Benson to Naco Railroad, and a major stop for transporting cattle from the local ranches. All that is left now is some old foundations. Also, here is one of the few remaining one lane bridges left in Arizona. The original was destroyed when a driver tried to drive across it with a loaded cement truck. The truck and the bridge ended up in the river. I'm glad they kept it one lane when they rebuilt it.

The old rail line:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20266;image

Hereford Ghost town:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20264;image

San Pedro Valley looking west from Hereford Rd towards the Huachuca Mountains:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20265;image

And the bridge:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8218.0;attach=20263;image

great pics, thanks for posting.

that's some river swell, scary close!

Looks like some fun times in that Jeep! I love exploring down in that area; you obviously know all the secret places. You guys live in a really cool spot, but like K said, keep an eye on that river! :eek:

Thanks guys. If the river comes up any higher, it has to fill the other bank in about 600 feet, so it has only come up higher than this once in the last 25 years.. The porch is concrete block, so we should be pretty good.

There are so many little trails criss crossing this area, and millions of little mining areas. About 2 miles north of us, there is a steam boiler laying out in the desert that was once used to drive a stamping mill down by what used to be Contention city. I just recently found out about this and will be going out in a few days to see it (Read about it on the Geocaching website). It is amazing what people did back in the day just to mine rocks out of the ground.

Great pictures. It looks like you've been to some cool places!

Nice, great area!

Thanks for the comments. I really love exploring. Here are some pics we took last year in my wife's Grand Cherokee up at Mt Lemmon. It was cloudy on the way up, and while we were up there a snow storm blew in. It was beautiful! Got to go sledding with my kids, which was a first, because they were born and raised in Florida. This was last December. Cant wait to go up there again when it snows!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19227;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19229;image

On the highway near the top:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19231;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19233;image

We enjoyed it so much, we went back the next weekend (Christmas Eve day):

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19236;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19238;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19240;image

Nice, great area!

Nice avatar! :D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8157.0;attach=19227;image

Nice ZJ! How do you guys like it? Its beginning to seem like Offroad Passport is 'The Station Wagon Club'! We're almost all driving XJs, ZJs, WJs, & 4 door JKs, which are station wagon-ish at least. Oh, and let's not forget our 4-Runner and FJC friends... Wagons!

Nice ZJ! How do you guys like it? Its beginning to seem like Offroad Passport is 'The Station Wagon Club'! We're almost all driving XJs, ZJs, WJs, & 4 door JKs, which are station wagon-ish at least. Oh, and let's not forget our 4-Runner and FJC friends... Wagons!

We definately like it for the room and the creature comforts. My YJ has no heat/ac/radio/carpet and very little room in the back, especially for my two boys. The YJ is great for the short day trips that we do locally, and the ZJ is great for traveling longer distances. I have some decent stock size tires on it (Falken Rocky Mountain ATS) that are great for my wife for daily driving as well as for any mild off road exploring we do. When these pics were taken^^^ we actually had some regular street tires on it. I was surprised at how sure footed the ZJ was in the snow even with those tires.

I am very interested in your exo-cage that you guys have on Big Red. I eventually would like to build one similar for our zj, that fits as well as that one does.