Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Local News Highlights Jeeping

Chris Radoccia from AZOHVC and Nena from Barlow Jeep rental thought they were doing a piece on 'responsible wheeling' when in fact KPHO kind of threw Jeeping under the bus! Personally I think that was pretty low of KPHO. See story and video here:

http://www.kpho.com/story/20251319/4-wheeling-enthusiasts-take-to-public-land-with-modified-jeeps

Am I just being too sensitive? Or do you think KPHO painted OHV in a bad light?

The media twisted it to their own agenda,Nena and Chris both did an excellent job.

The media twisted it to their own agenda,Nena and Chris both did an excellent job.

Absolutely I agree. I don't think I could've done better. Kudos to Chris & Nena for sure. :D

Crappy sensationalism, rather than journalism...:mad:

Here is a copy of the e-mail I just sent to CBS...

I am writing to voice my displeasure with the seriously flawed reporting of the story shown last evening on CBS, regarding Jeeping.

The so-called "news" story made it appear that Jeepers are destroying the environment, rather than demonstrating that the Arizona Off Highway Coalition and responsible Jeepers everywhere, are working closely with the BLM, to help promote safe and responsible land use.

Your story instead intimated that Jeepers were responsible for the dumping of trash, and abetting the destruction of the environment.

Shame on you and your "reporters" for such irresponsible and slanted sensationalism, in the pursuit of "a story"...

SE Schlueter

Wickenburg, AZ

Here is the reply I received... And my response to Ms. Wallace...

Thank you Steve for your email. CBS 5 does try to tell the complete story. I will pass your comments on to our News Director. Maybe they will do a second story showing the good people that are Jeepers and also concerned citizens.

Again thank you for remind us that concerned citizens are out there and watching our station. Have a great day.

Michele Wallace

Executive Asst. to Edward Munson

KPHO CBS 5 News

Direct: (602) 650-5501

michele.wallace@cbs5az.com

Michelle,

Thanks for your prompt response. I and all responsible folks should, including responsible OHV users, most certainly expect and appreciate having the complete story being reported and shared.

Steve

It's really very simple. To the mindset of the corporate media, there is no story in showing responsible four wheeling. When you stop and analyze the bulk of what passes for "news" today, it's all negative. "If it bleeds, it leads."

They definitely seemed to gloss over the fact that these Jeep groups encourage responsible wheeling and, if they're like the groups I've wheeled with in the past, always leave the trails cleaner than they found them. Part of all the wheeling trips I've been on has been picking up any litter we see and packing it out with us. Who can fit a refrigerator or a treadmill in a modified Jeep anyway?

Where were they during the Four Peaks cleanup?

It didn't "bleed" so it didn't "lead!" It's all fluff. News stopped being news when the news division was moved under the umbrella of "entertainment." And to think I almost made broadcasting my career. I'd rather be a greeter at a big box store!

If you really want to write letters that matter, figure out who advertised during that segment

and write letters of complaint to them. Hit the pocketbook!

Pesky Varmint