Sign in to follow this  
scottL

Granite Hills Trail Carefree, Arizona

i meet a group of jeepers through a friend at my gym Josh who invited me to do a trail he called "Granite Hill".

"It's somewhere north of cave creek" Josh said.

fast forward to a few weeks ago when we meet at the Lowes parking lot in Carefree.

There was Josh, his wife and two kids in their beige Jeep Rubicon unlimited "Rudolph" edition.

Nathan, his wife and one child in their white jk wrangler unlimited.

Chad by his lonesome in another maroon jk. and lastly myself and Shelley in the cherokee.

we left the Lowes parking lot after Josh fueled up and drove to Bartlett dam road.

i was thinking this might be the same trail i ran with George, Diane, The Gear, Desert 4x4 John and Ehall last october during our camp creek 'splorin run: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2298 but we drove on bartlett dam road past the ranger station to a different powerline service road and turned off.

The folks with families in the unlimited jeeps were kind enough to wait while i aired down on the powerline road:

granitehill002.jpg

Chad asked if i'd lead because he only had a paper map and wasn't familiar with the area. i saw on his map we were to follow a trail marked 2091 that intersects with 2097 and new this was the same trail we ran last october from pictures saved to my camera. we were just at a different entry point:

GHTrail.jpg

the Granite Hill trail is undulating and tippy in places with thick brush at other spots but very fun all around without the worry of rock rash. it reminds me of the fabled FR42 minus the cool beach lunch spot:

GOPR0438.jpg

the only real granite boulders are at waypoint 3 (1.6 miles):

granitehill004.jpg

it was a great day to be on the trail

namethattrail.jpg

granitehill008.jpg

granitehill009.jpg

GOPR0457.jpg

due to time constraints we didn't make it all the way back to needle rock like the first run and we decided to tackle "The Chute" at waypoint 5 which dumps into Camp Creek wash near the end of the trail. Josh had also gone down this section in his quad before and confidently offered to spot if willing. It was only a short drive back to bartlett dam road from this point we could see it off into the distance.

here's some other pictures with captions by Chad & his way cool go pro fisheye:

Weeblypic2.jpg

the Chute was a long, narrow, very steep decent with drop offs on both sides that 45 degree bent to the bottom of camp creek. this was the section which left our group searching for a detour last october.

"the upper part can be washed out and tippy":

granitehill012.jpg

granitehill017.jpg

"the lower part can have soft sand and rubble":

granitehill020.jpg

granitehill025.jpg

Chad also made this you tube video:

thanks Chad and Josh for inviting me on a fun and short trail.

while airing up we saw jeff & his lady in his sweet older 4runner with the extended a-arms up front. he stopped and talked for a few on his way to hunters bbq.

playing our name that trail game?

might be a great clue: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22210#post22210

merry christmas

Great trip report Scotty. Who knew it had a name? That paper map looks like it came from Nena Barlow. :rolleyes:

Great trip report Scotty. Who knew it had a name? That paper map looks like it came from Nena Barlow. :rolleyes:

thanks Diane. interesting; i wonder if Nena has any other maps to cool trails like that around our area?

i'll check out the website on this one to see if they have information on any of those other trails that crisscross all over camp creek.

like that new kiosk we found back in october right next to those houses?..

thanks Diane. interesting; i wonder if Nena has any other maps to cool trails like that around our area?

i'll check out the website on this one to see if they have information on any of those other trails that crisscross all over camp creek.

like that new kiosk we found back in october right next to those houses?..

Nena (corrected my misspelling from before) is likely to have a bunch of maps in that area. We did some map testing for her back in the day which is how we learned of the trail to that spring we went to last time.

That trail is super fun, I am lucky i got my F350 through the chute though what a tight squeeze. It looks like plenty of offshoots and little trails to play on out there too. Thanks for the write up had a blast.

Great report! Thanks for sharing!

smiles, ladybug

Looks like a fun and relaxing day… Thanks for sharing… :D

Awesome Pics Scott ! if i remember right we didn't go down the chute that day .