Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Inexpensive Hand-Held HAM Radio

Universal Radio has the files linked for download. You can try installing the Win7 driver. I would think it could be made to work with Win8.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5934prgm.html

If none of those work, try the Prolific drivers at this site.

http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

Received my UV-5R Plus radio today. One problem though: Windows 8 does not support the USB to Serial Driver. So I will have to program by hand.

Bummer, I dont know anything about Windows 8..I use Linux. :o

I could help you manually program it also, unfortunately I am still in Boston, Most likely for another couple months or so.

Its really not soooo bad just a lot of buttons.

Here is a video that had helpd me out. (first part of the vid. is a review the second part gets into programming.)

Great video! Thanks!!

I have a Baofeng (dual band) and it is a nice radio for the money ($50). I also have a couple of the Wouxun (dual band) ($115). The Wouxuns are better quality than the Baofeng . Either is a lot less money than any of the Japanese dual banders.

I picked up a UV5R at Overland Expo. Pretty nice radio for sub $100 with extra antenna and programming cable.

The seller programmed the radio with his favorite repeaters and such, nice for the average HAM, but I want to clone closer to my in vehicle Yaesu 7800R.

I made contact on 87 near the 4 peaks turnoff on my way home through the MT Ord repeater. Had a brief conversation until I turned off at Usery and the mountains blocked the 5w signal...

I downloaded the program Chirp and the Windows driver so I can program via the PC (windows 8).

All is working smoothly.

Will be a nice addition to the truck for comms when out walking...;)

Thanks. I would like your help. I went to the Chirp site but it also states only Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 are supported. Windows 8 has a problem with the serial port or something.

thanks

I am using it on Windows 8 and it works. I used the same webpage, C-Fish is refering to, to find the right driver.

Can anyone recommend an external antenna for my Baofeng. I have a tj and would like to increase my reception.

thanks johnpa

check the first post of this thraed for model numbers of a comet and diamond that fit. i ordered the comet based on a review i read that rated it slightly better than the diamond in actual transmission signal strength. there is also a cheaper brand called Nagoya that is all over ebay. it might not be as good as the comet or diamond, but i'm sure it's a ton better than the factory antenna still. i'll report back once i get my radio and the comet.

I purchased the Comet SMA-24J antenna at HRO. http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011735

I haven't done any hard benchmark testing on it, but I like the flexible antennas way more than the stiffer stock antenna that comes with it.

SMA-24.jpg

Dual-band 2M/70cm HT Antenna

Super flexible and lightweight-

Made from the same material as

unbreakable eyeglass frames

Gain & Wave length:

2M 2.15dBi 1/4 wave

70cm 3.5dBi 5/8 wave

Max Power: 20 watts

Length: 15.75"

Connector: "reverse" SMA for Wouxun