theksmith

Inexpensive Hand-Held HAM Radio

At that price it seems like getting a license would be more cost effective although in the midwest it is not as common and you generally stay pretty close together so CB is ok.

I was bored the other day and thought of trying something I read on the web a while back, adding a tiger tail to my handheld. It worked really well and I am able to pick up repeaters clearly in the car where I normally hear garbled conversations. I was also able to get to repeaters I couldn't reach with the nagoya 771 I got from ebay.

After my crappy CB reception the last 2 trips, I just ordered one of these. $30.91 at Amazon. I also ordered the Comet antennae. Does that antennae connect directly to the radio or is it an external mount?

When I got home from Sunflower, I noticed that the tip of my CB antennae was broken off. Maybe that's why reception was so poor. Anyway, now to study for my license and buy a tin-foil hat.

Anyway, now to study for my license and buy a tin-foil hat.
The exam is easy. I think the hat is optional, with plenty of opportunities to get one after they exam part is finished. You'd be amazed at the catalogs that suddenly come in the mail... :rolleyes:

After my crappy CB reception the last 2 trips, I just ordered one of these. $30.91 at Amazon. I also ordered the Comet antennae. Does that antennae connect directly to the radio or is it an external mount?

When I got home from Sunflower, I noticed that the tip of my CB antennae was broken off. Maybe that's why reception was so poor. Anyway, now to study for my license and buy a tin-foil hat.

the Comet SMA24J connects directly to the unit - is that the one you got? i have the similar diamond one, they help a fair amount but mainly when not in the vehicle.

an external antenna (mag-mount or permanent) would really help more as the metal boxes we all drive around in block a ton of signal! if you already ordered one that attaches directly to the unit then i'd try it and see what you think first though, just having any 2m radio instead of CB is going to be a world better.

if you have a firestik style CB antenna with the tuneable tip, then losing that off it would in fact really matter. but being down in the canyon type area meant reception wasn't great for anyone that was very far apart most of the time.

i can't believe how cheap a complete setup has gotten now... everyone needs to get their license so we can all have better comms on the trail ;)

- the UV-5R+ is $38: http://amzn.to/1l7BdTm

- the car adapter is $10: http://amzn.to/1uYcPub

- a Tram 1185 antenna (magnetic mount outside vehicle) is $16: http://amzn.to/1nDhRdT (plus you need a $6 adapter cable for this)

- or a Comet SMA24J antenna (direct attachment replacement for the factory shorty) is $23: http://amzn.to/1nIipMT

all but one of those items (the Comet) is available on Amazon Prime (2 day free shipping) too!

if you don't like Amazon, you can find everything you need at HRO online or locally: http://www.hamradio.com/

For the Baofeng Hand Held Ham Radio I recommend getting the optional "Battery Eliminator" which replaces the battery with a cigarette lighter adapter. They are available on the internet for about $7 or $8 with Free Shipping. Plug into your Jeep's 12v outlet and run the radio all day. Also, buy the Programming Cable and download the programming software. Makes Pre-programming repeater frequency, Offset, Shift and PL simple. Even if you don't have a license, it is legal for anyone to transmit on Ham Frequencies in an Emergency. A good Magnetic antenna on the hood or metal top is also well worth the cost. An adapter will be required to attach the antenna to the Baofeng though.

Roger

KF6UPP

if you have a firestik style CB antenna with the tuneable tip, then losing that off it would in fact really matter. but being down in the canyon type area meant reception wasn't great for anyone that was very far apart most of the time.

After closer inspection, just the tuning tip is missing. I ordered another one and will tune it. Hopefully, that helps.

I doubt if you can tune an antenna designed for a CB to work well with a 2 Meter Ham radio. Likely it won't have enough tuning range to work well with a Ham radio. Their wavelengths are very different.

I doubt if you can tune an antenna designed for a CB to work well with a 2 Meter Ham radio. Likely it won't have enough tuning range to work well with a Ham radio. Their wavelengths are very different.

You misunderstood. I meant that I'll be able to tune the firestik for my CB, not the ham.