Sign in to follow this  
lofreqjeff

Anyone wheelin this weekend?

That would be great if you can lead us. I take it when you said easy that my stock GC can manage it? :-)

I'm in! It will be fun getting a full size in there..

That would be great if you can lead us. I take it when you said easy that my stock GC can manage it? :-)

You'll be fine :) I saw pics from the weekend where there was a Ponitac Sunfire out at the 1st cove.

I'm in! It will be fun getting a full size in there..

I've seen some full size trucks back at the last few coves - hope you don't mind a little Arizona pin striping

I should be getting the 4Runner back Friday, then this weekend we're busy with moving Megan into my house. I'll check out the calendar and see when we can plan something - going to have to be after the Rim camping trip.

Does anyone have a date preference? After the Payson trip June 14-15, I'm free pretty much every weekend.

You'll be fine :) I saw pics from the weekend where there was a Ponitac Sunfire out at the 1st cove.

I've seen some full size trucks back at the last few coves - hope you don't mind a little Arizona pin striping

My truck has plenty lol. I made it almost to the first cove to rescue a full size chevy (broken cv shaft) but never went all they way. Had to pull him out.

That cove is the best one , nice sand beach with lots of shade trees , great place to camp and swim and not a lot of people or trash :-)

HiJeff, any chance you're available next Saturday to check out the 4th cove.

HiJeff, any chance you're available next Saturday to check out the 4th cove.

Sure! I can handle that. I don't have any solid plans as of yet so that sounds like a plan!

I'll put some options together tomorrow or Monday and put it up here.

I'm interested. I've only been to the first 2 coves and have been wanting to check out the other coves.

So far 'they' are calling for 103* and 0% chance of rain for Saturday - so I say ITS ON!

Lets plan on meeting in the back of the Butcher Jones parking lot near the gate around 9am Saturday morning - Map:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gbv=2&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&cid=17889596204920950891&q=butcher+jones+az&sa=X&ei=rVnFU5P9C8u7oQSFoIDYCw&ved=0CBQQtQMwAA

From there we will air down and discuss the various routes we can take depending on everyones comfort level. There are 5 or 6 ways we can go from the parking lot to the furthest cove that I know. Most of the ways are very easy, some have a challenging spot or 2 but have easy bypasses, but nothing is really hard out there.

According to this map of The Rolls area, we are going to take 1813 to 1814 then cross the wash at 1830 to a few that are not marked on this map to ultimately end up at the end of 1844:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5352590.pdf

I'm thinking we'll bypass the first 2 coves from the beginning then check them out on the way back if anyone is insterested. We have to drive across the 3rd cove to get to the others so we can decide how much time we'll spend at that one when we get there. The one after that is very small and I typically pass it, but we can drive through it then onto the last one.

Bring something to swim in and something for your feet if you plan on going in the water. I will bring my canopy, and if anyone else has one that would be great. I'll have an extra camp chair if anyone needs one. Pack a lunch and bring plenty of water because it can be brutal out there - a lot of the ride is wide open desert = not much shade. Hopefully everyone has a CB. And if not, don't worry I have 2 extra handheld's if anyone needs to burrow one for the day.

Let me know if you have any questions!! See ya'll Saturday morning!

Yay! We'll see you on Saturday. I will probably have to borrow one of your handheld cd radio. We'll pack something hotdogs and burgers to grill.