Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Tonto National Forest Travel Management Environmental Impact Statement

Got this email yesterday:

The Tonto National Forest is soliciting comments on an Environmental Impact Statement for Travel Management. Please read the attached letter from Forest Supervisor Neil J. Bosworth. A forest map showing the proposed action and other information can be found in pdf format at this site http://data.ecosystem-management.org/nepaweb/fs-usda-pop.php?project=28967

Thank you for your interest in the Tonto National Forest.

So has the window of comment passed? I see roads they have listed as remaining open that no longer exist, and roads they plan to close that are fine.

So has the window of comment passed? I see roads they have listed as remaining open that no longer exist, and roads they plan to close that are fine.

I do not know when the comment time ends. I confess I have not had the time to investigate this latest thing from Tonto nor will I have time to look into it anytime soon. Sorry to just regurgitate the link this time, but I felt it was important to at least share that.

I found an e mail address on one of the supporting docs so I am sending her comments on closing existing roads but leaving non-existing roads open! Sounds kind of backwards, doesn't it? Also they want to close access to the Copper Creek Guard Station which is located on the National Register of Historic Places. What's the reason behind THAT????

I do not know when the comment time ends. I confess I have not had the time to investigate this latest thing from Tonto nor will I have time to look into it anytime soon. Sorry to just regurgitate the link this time, but I felt it was important to at least share that.

it's difficult to investigate any of Tonto's latest 275 page document.. & that's just the analysis.

skimming through it, apparently they're closing down some of the Rolls OHV area.

certainly the saguaro lake "coves" are full of garbage:rolleyes:

I think they make it confusing on purpose. The best way to deal with it is to take a section you are familiar with and, if you see anything that looks objectionable, make a comment to them about it.

The instructions for public input are found at the bottom of Page 5, continued on Page 6 of the January 31, 2013 Scoping Letter.

Here is a link: TravelMgmtEISscoping01312013

1. Comments must be submitted by March 4, 2013

2. Comments must be specific to this proposal. Include route numbers or location descriptions as well as reasons for the recommendations.

3. Submit comments to: Neil Bosworth, Forest Supervisor, 2324 E. McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85006 or email to comments-southwestern-TMRTonto@fs.fed.us or fax 602-225-5213

4. The review process is governed by the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA). (for more info on NEPA procedures, see the link in post #1 of this thread).

I suggest that we schedule some runs to inspect the trails shown on the map of the proposed action. Here's a link: EIS_ProposedActionMap_36x36_01312013

Once we have first hand knowledge of what's proposed, we can submit comments. And it gives us an excuse to get out into the forest and run some trails!

Some members of MyJeepRocks recently did just that over the past few months in the San Bernandino National Forest, and the comments had much more credibility. As a result, the Forest Service has decided to rescind a proposed road closure. Here's a link to what they did: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php/23195-Legacy-Road-Closure-Conf-Call

Thanks for the info. I sent a comment to the name on the title page of the "Environmental Assessment" document, a "grjohnson" and it bounced back as "undeliverable."

Thank you for weeding through all that material and summing it up Russ! Yes you're right, running the trails first hand is the best way to comment intelligently. Diane

Be sure you parse words correctly. A "trail" in FS parlance is NOT open for full size vehicles. It is typically reserved for "vehicles" 50" or less (quads, bikes, equestrian and pedestrian but NOT side-by-sides).