Sign in to follow this  
johnpa

white rim trail advise

For those of you who have traveled the white rim trail in moab, can this trail be done in a dodge durango all wheel drive stock height vehivle? my father in-law wants to run it and he owns the dodge.

thanks in advance for your thoughts,

johnpa

John,

I have not been on this trail, nor do I know anything about your FIL's driving skills... Thus am unable to comment on whether he and or his vehicle is suited or not.

However, I would suggest your FIL do some in-depth research prior to running it, as it is a remote area, and for sure leave behind a travel plan that he will stick to, so if he has not contacted folks at the expected end time, that it will be easier to locate him...

Here is a place to start his information search and planning...

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

We ran the White Rim loop in 2009. It is stock accessible. He shouldn't have any problems. It is extremely remote with no way to exit except either end of the loop. If I remember right, it took us 110 miles from pavement to pavement. Also, we did it in one day leaving Moab around 6am and returning around 6 or 7pm. We had to keep pace in mind. I don't think it rushed us along the day, but we didn't have time to get out and do any hikes or extended exploring at any of the pull outs.

See my photos here. http://s687.photobucket.com/albums/vv231/k7azv/20090509%20Moab%20Utah/MoabThursday/

Nice photos. I miss the ol' Cherokee.

I have done the White Rim over five times now. It is a very popular trip for mountain bikers and there are several bike tour companies on the trail. They alluse vans as support vehicles. There usually is some mud around potato bottom and maybe deep sand if you take the side trip to Moses and Zeus. Be very careful at Murphy Hogback as we lost a Jeep there a few years ago. Bottom line: The White Rim trail is pretty easy in most places but is nice to have have four wheel drive and off road tires. Last time my front drive shaft had issues and was removed so it can be done in two wheel drive.

I have done this also, but I would suggest camping out if you can get a permit. I think it is more fun if you can take your time. And I did it in a stock 1984 4runner.