dzJeepChic

ScottLs 2001 XJ

Ok Monday it is. I will show up at 10am.

G:cool:

have to take B to camp that morning - have fun guys

Looking good Scott.

Just got one question, whats the difference between a 241 and a 242j?

Ps internet has been nearly non exsistent for the last 12 months, just got a new ph so i might be able to get back on here a bit.

Do you mean 231 and a 242j? My old 'case was a 231. I did find this http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/zoemackellin/xn_241/xn241080.htm

George stopped by last week. We notched my transmission mount more to make needed room for the larger transfer case 4 wheeler supply previously installed. We noticed scratch marks on the tranny mount where my transfer case had been rubbing against it.

Before

6F42BB8C-69B3-4CB2-8CE4-5C0C4E61C042_zpst3zlp5lj.jpg

1B932B1F-D785-499E-882A-A37406D6E6DF_zpsn5pdp5kd.jpg

After

2B236680-39D1-4501-9261-318ECE17F95C_zpstulermng.jpg

Then yesterday I went over to George's house where he removed my bent shifter linkage, straightened it out & re-adjusted it. Now I can shift into 4lo with ease the way it should be. Thank you George, assistant Kbro & nurse Diane for your help & guidance.

Now lets run some trails.

Now lets run some trails.

I'm ready3F72B685-0CE5-4161-86C4-565FBAFC1233_zpseahsto9f.jpg

My PSC power steering is acting up again. Last time I was aired down and in 4low we were trying to find our way around private property and thus had to U turn often. On one of the last multi point u turns (more like an Austin Powers situation) I heard what sounded like a high revolution grinding noise, similar to missing reverse on a manual transmission vehicle. Quick inspection revealed seepage from the back of my gear where the steering shaft connects. The little U joint on the steering shaft is soaked. Had it parked in my mom's spotless garage last weekend and it left a small puddle of power steering fluid on the floor after only a couple hours.

Even though I have read and heard from many others that PSC is the bees knees of aftermarket performance steering, I've had the same PSC pump rebuilt twice and am now looking at my second steering gear rebuild.

This guy races Jeeps and says there are really only two types of jeep steering gears in the universe

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244329760&postcount=13

This guy's had the same issues I'm having. Everyone he talks to has had similar issues. Most are recommending a "Howe" gear??

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?191800-PSC-Power-Steering-Pump

This guy installs his PSC gear and within a day discovers something I've also been dealing with for a long time

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/psc-xtreme-duty-steer-gearbox-install-write-up-56139.html

The guy who races jeeps in the first link suggests a shiny new gear might get "contaminated" by something else faulty in the steering system and suggests replacing everything at once to avoid future problems. I'm thinking the gear might just need seals replaced and I should probably install that inline cooler OB1 has been telling me to get.

Visually my PSC unit looks a bit larger than the original one I pulled out of my XJ and I'd really like to know if the PSC gear boxes are simply rebuilt OEM boxes or maybe they're constructed of titanium by rocket scientists in a hermetically sealed environment?

is there play in the input shaft where the leak is, or just a bad seal you think? if no play, then don't overdo anything - just fix the current problem and add the cooler while you're at it.

is this the same problem you had before? i'd contact PSC and ask them what they think - even if you are out of warranty they should still at least offer some thoughts/advice.

p.s. your XJ is just pissing on the floor for attention cuz you give all your love to the Mustang now ;)

Everyone knows, XJs mark their territory!

is there play in the input shaft where the leak is, or just a bad seal you think? if no play, then don't overdo anything - just fix the current problem and add the cooler while you're at it.

is this the same problem you had before? i'd contact PSC and ask them what they think - even if you are out of warranty they should still at least offer some thoughts/advice.

p.s. your XJ is just pissing on the floor for attention cuz you give all your love to the Mustang now ;)

No play on the input shaft but I did notice the pitman arm retaining nut was only finger tight. I believe both the Pitman and stub shaft seals on my steering gear have melted from power steering fluid heating up, causing it to leak and potentially frying the 'shaft bearing too. I called Benchworks last week to find out if they know the difference between a PSC and factory steering box. Dude more or less agreed with this guy on NAXJA http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....0&postcount=13 saying there are basically two types of factory Chrysler steering boxes: you have slightly larger ones that came in 97-99 Dodge Durangos and there are the regular ones like I have in my Cherokee and what comes in YJ's, etc. Other than that, he was not aware of any differences in the external appearance of Jeep steering gears unless he could take them both apart side by side and see what's inside. I asked because I have a factory steering box laying in my garage that I would have already had rebuilt except it looks smaller in appearance than my PSC unit. The guy at Benchworks recommended I go ahead and get my PSC box rebuilt in the event it was modeled after the better engineered Durango gear.

It's been at least a month since I've spent any money on the Mustang(gas), now focused on getting my Jeep ready for the dog days of summer and quite possibly the Big Bear trip.

Which reminds me, have you done the new steering wheel cover on your JK yet?