dzJeepChic

ScottLs 2001 XJ

The only stop leak I have first hand experience with is this:

Genuine GM Fluid 3634621 Cooling System Seal Tablet - 4 Grams, (Pack of 5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QIH3C4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ewaIybES28X4T

We had these 30 years ago when I worked at a Chevrolet dealer. What we had then was branded as GM, not Delco as these are. But that was a long time ago.

I put four of these, late one afternoon, in a small block Chevy pick up that was being used to plow snow. The truck had a leak at the intake manifold??? (if I remember correctly.). There was a blizzard happening and the plow operator was NOT going to take the time to fix it correctly. I remember watching the small, steady, leak get smaller and then it stopped. Topped off the radiator, slammed the hood and wished him luck. It took about 15? min. for the tabs to work.

I asked the operator the following summer if he ever got it fixed correctly. His response was, "what for, I drive it almost everyday and it doesn't leak a drop"

That said, I'm not a stop leak fan, but I feel your pain. A heater core in an XJ is no fun but I think a WJ is worse if that's any consolation. Good luck

First off, I too am not a fan of stop leaks as they tend to gum up the entire system. That said, XJ heater cores are probably one of the worst engineering designs of all time. You have to weigh the fact that using stop leak may eventually lead to water pump failure or overheating issues down the road. As far as the double sided felt tape goes, what fun is owning an XJ if it doesn't squeak or rattle? That's how I know mine is still running! Well that and having to turn my radio up loud enough to hear over the rattles, squeaks and road noise.

I have used Bar's stop leak (http://barsproducts.com/) in the past and it did stop the leak. Never kept the vehicle long enough to see if other problems developed.

don't do it, it will clog your arteries!

the heater core and a/c evaporator can both be changed in a Saturday wrenching session. my WJ took a fairly long day, i think the XJ is quicker.

That said, I'm not a stop leak fan, but I feel your pain. A heater core in an XJ is no fun but I think a WJ is worse if that's any consolation. Good luck

First off, I too am not a fan of stop leaks as they tend to gum up the entire system.

don't do it, it will clog your arteries! the heater core and a/c evaporator can both be changed in a Saturday wrenching session. my WJ took a fairly long day, i think the XJ is quicker.
Thanks bros, I hear you!

Yesterday I took a test drive with the engine already warm & the fan cranked up to 4 on the highest heat setting. Even though it defrosts windows quickly, I found out the heater does not work so great as initially stated. After 5.3 miles the Jeep managed to pump out a measly 108 degrees at the vent

742D52AC-EEBF-4ACA-B4B7-7BCE8911B257_zpskhdgc78w.jpg

I am now leaning toward replacing the heater core & a/c evaporator. Reading more posts on the interweb & finding most guys who've tackled this job thought it was going to be a lot worse than it really was for them. Hopefully it will be the same for me.

Looking further at what & where to buy, this Spectra Premium heater core gets lousy reviews for:

1. not fitting properly &

2. one dude said his only lasted 3 months before failing, another 14 months.

Omix Ada also gets bad reviews. I found the "Cheap Aluminum Garbage" review interesting. This particular keyboard conquistador says, "It may be $200 more expensive but the two days of my life lost to remove this garbage and reinstall a factory heater core are worth more."

Then I found a couple more generic heater cores for basically the same price as Spectra and Omix that do not have customer reviews yet; brands like OSC & ADPI.

The next search located this Mopar unit and indeed it is $200 more expensive but I really do not want to pull the dash out twice.

I also found a Mopar a/c evaporator at RockAuto.com which of course costs even more than the heater core:rolleyes:

Question K, what 'core did you purchase when you replaced the one in your XJ & WJ? Did either one last a long time??

Wondering if anyone has had good luck with any of the other generic ones before I pull the trigger on a Mopar unit.

Scotty, i remembered after we talked yesterday that i actually never did do the XJ, only the WJ (sorry for the misleading info). i ended up selling my XJ before i ever got around to pulling the dash.

i think i unloaded the evaporator still new in box at a yard sale later on (and a complete new 4.0 HO engine that i never got around to making a stroker out of)! i don't remember what brand that evap was nor which one i got for the WJ.

if you expect to keep the rig more than a couple years then i'd do both the heater core and evaporator with genuine Mopar stuff. better to only cry once as they say...

Id check on rockauto.com. They have an ADPI heater core available as a 3rd option for ya.

they are my go to.

Ordered a long block 4.0 on there as well for a steal.

Was listed as FAMOUS BRAND. Took a shot and an ATK came.

I hear good things about the ADPI. Supposed to be coated internally with an alloy of some sort to prevent corrosion.

I need to change the heater core in the TJ and have been putting it off for a couple of years. still on the fence if I want to tackle it or have it done. just looks like a major pita. the labor estimate is $500, so with the core and evap, recharging the ac etc it could be close to a grand. :(

Scott, do you have a service manual for your XJ? I've never done a XJ but have done 5 or 6 Wj's at work and still found the factory manual to be very helpful.

With the manual I think you'd be fine. I would however be really tempted to use the factory parts and not have to do it a second time.

Scotty, i remembered after we talked yesterday that i actually never did do the XJ, only the WJ (sorry for the misleading info). i ended up selling my XJ before i ever got around to pulling the dash.

i think i unloaded the evaporator still new in box at a yard sale later on (and a complete new 4.0 HO engine that i never got around to making a stroker out of)! i don't remember what brand that evap was nor which one i got for the WJ.

if you expect to keep the rig more than a couple years then i'd do both the heater core and evaporator with genuine Mopar stuff. better to only cry once as they say...

I plan to keep it for a long time & if I tear the dash out I only want to do it once.

Id check on rockauto.com. They have an ADPI heater core available as a 3rd option for ya.

they are my go to.

Ordered a long block 4.0 on there as well for a steal.

Was listed as FAMOUS BRAND. Took a shot and an ATK came.

Yep, I use their 5% off coupon every time and it usually covers shipping. That's where I'll go to get my Mopar a/c evaporator since they are $9 cheaper than what Chrysler sells them for. Too bad they do not offer Mopar heater cores as well.

I hear good things about the ADPI. Supposed to be coated internally with an alloy of some sort to prevent corrosion.
Good to know. At this point I'm leaning toward factory replacement units based on that Cheap Aluminum Garbage comment the guy from Amazon said.

I need to change the heater core in the TJ and have been putting it off for a couple of years. still on the fence if I want to tackle it or have it done. just looks like a major pita. the labor estimate is $500, so with the core and evap, recharging the ac etc it could be close to a grand. :(
That sounds about right. Lots of $ & a major pita! I figure roughly $600 for factory Mopar a/c evap & heater core with shipping. If I can do the labor myself then another $150-200 for flushing/recharging my system.

Scott, do you have a service manual for your XJ? I've never done a XJ but have done 5 or 6 Wj's at work and still found the factory manual to be very helpful.

With the manual I think you'd be fine. I would however be really tempted to use the factory parts and not have to do it a second time.

I do not have a manual but i know they sell them at Autozone. I've also posted detailed instructions above from Justanotherhillbillyblogspot.com & Cherokee forum which pretty much covers every step with pictures included. Now I've just got to order some parts, wait for the mail & start wrenching.

Speaking of ordering parts, fired up the Jeep this morning & i now hear a strange ticking sound coming from my a/c compressor. Whatever it is doesn't sound healthy http://vid1189.photobucket.com/albums/z432/scottLXJ/2533AE50-799B-4041-B424-581A3FD28F28_zpsq7apcua5.mp4 :(

Thanks again for your input fellas, much appreciated.