Sign in to follow this  
Offroad Passport

Experience Arizona & Offroad Passport Announce: Arizona Treasure Game!

Despite the April 1 announcement date this is NO JOKE!

arizonatreasure1main500.jpg

Click the image for game instructions, rules and your 1st clue!

Okay, anybody want to play? I updated the original post - the image is now linked to Experience Arizona website page where you'll find the 1st clue!

GO!

Ok, I'm done with the first clue. I'm ready for more! When do we get more!!!!! I NEED MORE!!!!!!!!! :D

Ok, I'm done with the first clue. I'm ready for more! When do we get more!!!!! I NEED MORE!!!!!!!!! :D

Ditto!^^^^^^

This is awesome!

Ahhh! I cannot figure it out. GRRRR!

This is fun though. :)

Rats, my GPS broke... I'll try it with a mapping program...

The five of us headed out of Tucson not knowing what the next few days would bring. We had loaded up our trusty Jeeps with food, water, weapons and a very special piece of cargo. The first ever Arizona Treasure!

As I pulled out of my driveway, I looked down at the shoebox-sized plastic container sitting on my front seat. It was filled with some cool stuff from Offroad Passport and Extreme Terrain. And a special, secret prize. Not exactly filled with gold, rubies or diamonds, but it was a great prize for someone to find.

Now, all we had to do is find a place to hide it. That was going to be the easy part. More challenging was going to be someone finding it. But wasn’t that what this adventure was all about?

The following pictures and description may help you discover the location of the treasure. Take them for face value. I haven’t hidden any secret words or phrases in the text or pictures (okay, maybe one or two in the text). But don’t worry, the hidden messages and such will be coming later:-)

There are many possible way and routes to find the treasure location. I am sure you can 4WD, hike, bike or parachute to the spot. During this trip, we followed one possible route using 4WD vehicles. This is NOT the only way to the treasure site.

The participants in this adventure were:

P1050514_zpse840ddd4.jpg

Matt (goofy picture not taken during this trip)

P1050844_zps52b4b2fd.jpg

Bill (yep, that’s what you’re thinking it is. We found this while we were picking up other people’s trash. It’s hard to believe what people leave behind)

Ripsey-Mine-045-Small_zpsc5c5db2b.jpg

Larry (photo taken during the Ripsey Mine adventure)

P1050943_zps733920ee.jpg

Cammie (otherwise known as Cat-dog who likes to sleep in the back seat of my Jeep)

P1050691_zps92b91363.jpg

(Gwen – Larry’s pup – who is always looking for someone to throw her a stick)

After an indeterminate amount of driving time from my home (come on, I’m not going to make it that easy), we pulled off the graded dirt road at a large wooden corral. Next to the corral was an abandoned metal object. I got out of the Jeep for a closer look. Interesting. I took some pictures, but due to technical difficulties, I haven’t been able to download those from my camera yet (hopefully soon).

We put our Jeeps into 4-low and headed off down the trail. Immediately, what had appeared to be a well traveled road seemed to almost disappear. It became overgrown with mesquite trees and prickly branches. It was difficult to see any recent tracks and looked as though it would end only after a few hundred yards.

We decided to push on and when we came to a wash the trail opened up a bit. Although, still not traveled regularly, the trail was easier to follow through the wash. We wound our way along the dry wash bed. It was sometimes very narrow, sometimes fairly wide. Steep canyon walls rose on either side.

After about a mile, we came to difficult rock section. You had to negotiate through a short boulder field, then up a steep rock face. I went first and took it just a half inch too close to a large boulder. When the front end tipped up, the back end went into a big hole and rocked the corner of my rear bumper into the boulder.

Bam! I was just crawling along, but it still managed to bend my bumper slightly. Darn stock bumpers. I guess it gives me an excuse to start looking at the aftermarket bumpers :-)

P1050854_zps5fe37804.jpg

Larry’s “Tank” made it up without a problem (we had learned from my mistake). Bill’s stock Rubicon bumped a few times and almost got high-centered on a large rock, but came through just fine. If you end up trying to make a grab for the treasure along this route, I would recommend at least 32” tires (though you are going to hit numerous times going through this wash) if not 33’s. I never needed to engage my lockers, but they wouldn’t hurt either.

P1050864_zpsee82a274.jpg

The trail continued to follow the wash for about another mile or so, climbing in and out as the boulders became too large to crawl over. Portions had water flowing through it. I let Cat-dog out for a quick drink and to see if she could catch one of the many large butterflies also getting a drink.

P1050884_zps69dacda1.jpg

At one point along the wash, we had to do some trail repair. A tree had fallen across a narrow section of the trail. I tried to make it past, but had to put my right side up on the bank and a large branch was within an inch of taking out my driver’s side window. I stopped before it did. We took out Larry’s trusty saw and cut the half-dead branch away. We continued another 10 feet before a second, larger branch blocked our path. I though I might be able to squeeze by this one. Not going to happen.

P1050886_zpsb945e930.jpg

I was tired from all the sawing on the previous branch, so we hooked up a tow strap and I pulled the larger branch out of the way.

Soon after, we found the exit out of the wash we had been looking for. This was difficult to spot and even though I had plotted the whole thing out on my Topo and Google Earth maps, I wasn’t sure we were on the right trail.

The climb out of the wash was steep and the slopes littered with loose rocks. The exit led us directly to a ridge and the going was a lot easier. Spring flowers were growing on the hills.

P1050888_zpsf03199cd.jpg

The trail after we came out of the wash

P1050898_zps1e96fd1b.jpg

Flowers and Jeeps

On the ridge trail, a gopher snake blocked our path (he was almost as long as the trail was wide) and didn’t want to move. I had to get out of the Jeep and prod him along so I wouldn’t run over him.

P1050892_zps8595fcb7.jpg

P1050893_zps9b3bd987.jpg

We followed this spine for a mile or so before coming to a place that gave me a sense of déjà vu. Like I had been there before, but maybe from a different direction. It also had a familiar smell, reminiscent of my days in the Air Force.

It was a welcome site. I was on known ground now (mostly). We made a dash to where I wanted to hide the treasure. There was evidence of both mining and ranching in the area, some fairly recently.

We ate lunch under the watchful eyes of a few circling vultures and cattle standing in the little bit of shade the area offered.

P1050914_zps6dfafa24.jpg

I hope they weren’t waiting for me…

After sharing my sandwich with Cat-dog, we set about hiding the treasure. Not too far by foot. A neat little place. Once hidden, we climbed back aboard our Jeeps and headed home.

Now to start working on the trail of breadcrumbs that will lead to the treasure…