Sign in to follow this  
Brushogger

Show Low Az speed trap!

Returning from our recent trip to Az, we were on hwy 60 coming towards Show Low from the southwest. Coming around the curve, I saw a flash and was nailed by the speed camera. 65-45 mph drop with no warning. The 45 mph sign contained the camera. What a crock! I looked up Show Low on the Internet and saw many links about it being the speed trap capital of Az. We are boycotting the town on future trips and will be recommending the same to others. We loved Az, but this was complete BS. This was the first ticket I've gotten of any type in over 20 years. Have any of you guys had the joy of this experience?

Trash it. They have to serve you with the ticket or prove you received it via mail. Probably want to delete this post though.

Valentine detector.

Always on in any vehiclewe travel in.

we don't speed hardly at all, but we get to see the traps FAR in advance.

I don't believe so. I'm from out of state, and it's not worth it to return and fight it. Did some research and if I don't respond by the court date , they can issue a warrant and revoke my drivers license. Many people didn't find this out until being arrested when getting another ticket. One was at the police station/ city court, paying a parking ticket and was arrested. Quite the racket! The states all cooperate now.

I may have been misled, and if so, I'm all ears for advice.

They won't come and get you, but will issue a warrant which should only be good within a 150 mile radius. If you come back to AZ though you would need to watch out.

thanks for the heads up! Star Valley (outside Payson) is another place that's easy to get photo-busted (though there are at least signs ahead of time).

Interestingly I saw a blurb, about an upcoming story about photo radar, on the news this morning. The state is asking towns and municipalities to justify their use of photo radar. The quick promo insinuated that the state wants them to prove how the camera has improved life safety in its respective area. Being in public safety, I have seen cameras reduce accidents in big intersections, known for speeders and crashes. I am interested in seeing if the state makes these little towns take down the speed traps. It sounds like in your case, a camera hidden around a curve without fair warning of speed reduction, that it is merely an revenue generating trap. At least Star Valley has the reduction/warning signs. I have been going up there since I was a kid and always remember drivers blazing through there. I would also caution you not to ignore the ticket, as it may come back to might you when you visit again.

Trash it. They have to serve you with the ticket or prove you received it via mail. Probably want to delete this post though.

That is correct. Arizona is one of the few states that actually has it right. A summons must be served by either a process server (sheriff, deputy, LEO - someone who personally delivers the complaint to the named defendant) or by certified or registered mail. If you don't receive a summons by this method, then nothing is going to happen. Photo radar tickets are the easiest to disregard because they are bulk mailed out by Redflex or some other third party corporation. Not sent out by the state, county, or other municipality.

In the case of PR tickets, they usually have a window of either 90 days or 6 months to complete the service then the ticket dies.

BTW a jury duty summons falls under the same guidelines. They are bulk mailed out in the same fashion.

IF you respond in ANY fashion to a summons not served in the above mentioned manner, you have effectively waved service and are considered "served." That's how "they" trick you into volunteering your way into the system.

A "bench warrant" can't be randomly issued without proof that the defendant was ever properly served. Can you imagine what things would be like if that were not the case?

That pesky constitution (or what's left of it) sure has its advantages!

P.S. Watch out for Wickenburg. There are more cops per mile there than residents!

This.

It's too late for me now. I made the mistake of calling them about it. I guess I'll be doing the online safe driving course. I'm eligible, and it's much cheaper than paying the ticket. Still sucks though.