Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Best "cheap" cameras for 2013

this site has a round of "best-of" cameras for several categories, including the best inexpensive camera. they reference reviews from all of the other top photography sites that support their conclusions, so it's not purely one-guy's opinion.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-cheap-camera-is-the-canon-320-hs/

recomendations

they came up with the Canon Powershot 320 HS & and 110 HS as the best inexpensive camera. they are both going for about $135 on Amazon currently. they are pretty much the same camera, but the 320 has a touchscreen and WiFi. for our sort of adventure activities, i'd actually recommend the 110 with the traditional buttons (easier to use with dirty hands or gloves).

s110_black_586x186.gif

their second choice is the Panasonic SZ7 which Amazon currently sells for about $120. Compared to the Canon 110 HS, it has a few less megapixels but twice the zoom range. it's also has a claimed battery life of 250 shots, considerably more than the Canon's 170 shot rating.

919cd25e-9690-4afb-adab-2ab1b7f0981e.jpg

personal experience

i've had Canon and Panasonic point-n-shoot cameras in the past and it's been my experience that Canon usually produces a slightly nicer image, especially in regard to color and dynamic range. Panasonic usually offers more features at a given price-point than Canon.

i purchased the Panasonic SZ7 for Aimee for Christmas a few months ago. the primary reasons for getting it over the canon was it's extended zoom, and the price difference was greater at the time. it hasn't been used a ton yet, but it does seem to take pretty nice photos and it's very snappy. the start up time, time between shots, and focus are all very quick. it's extremely light and thin, making it quite pocketable. the lightweight construction makes it feel a bit cheap, but overall i'm sure it'll last at least as long as any other point-n-shoot.

other styles

the site i mentioned has a couple other reviews that might interest our members

- best waterproof/rugged camera

- best superzoom style camera

It sure seems like the prices of the point & shoot variety continue to go down. My 1st one was a Pentax I bought in 2007 for around $500. My most recent purchase was for a Nikon for less than $100. Pentax offers point & shoot cameras from $350 - $100 now too.

It sure seems like the prices of the point & shoot variety continue to go down. My 1st one was a Pentax I bought in 2007 for around $500. My most recent purchase was for a Nikon for less than $100. Pentax offers point & shoot cameras from $350 - $100 now too.

that's a good point about prices...

it seems that there's always a certain sweet spot for cost/value. currently, it's the $120-$150 range. i imagine that any camera from the top 4 (Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Nikon) in that price range is going to give you a great image and have most of the current popular features.