Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

What to use for Phone/Tablet based GPS (maps)

Ok I finally snapped a few photos last night and got a moment to post them:

IMG_20140501_200601_zps1e6128d3.jpg

Here's the mount itself. I'm using a Ram brand mount, universal tablet mounting bracket. It's attached to the Rugged Ridge Dash organizer on my 08 JKR.

IMG_20140501_200222_zps918f3ce4.jpg

View when on GPS.

IMG_20140501_200154_zps749ff6e1.jpg

View of how Torque looks.

IMG_20140501_200138_zps0e855acb.jpg

From the eyes of the driver.

IMG_20140501_200319_zps16d530e2.jpg

View from between the front seats.

I like how this mount keeps the tablets in place without problems, doesn't make it harder for me to see out the windshield, and doesn't interrupt the passenger's room.

I finally got the chance to use BCN last Saturday at the Dry Creek Wash. I was able to prepare by downloading some of the map data while at the motel but I think my S4's 5" screen is a little too small. I'm looking for a cheap 7" tablet with GPS to see if it works out better.

My track recorded just fine but silly me forgot to turn it off when I got to the air up spot, so it went on all the way home. Lastly, unfamiliarity with the app while playing with it, I managed to delete the tracks I just recorded!

I nearly always forget to stop tracking at the end of the run. I don't know about BCN, but Gaia has an easy to use "trimming" feature that lets you remove as much as you want from the back end of the track. It would be nice to have more comprehensive editing for tracks, but 95% of the time all I really need to do is truncate the end.

I have a similar set up for my tablet attached to the roll cage at the base of the windshield. The one thing I struggled with was keeping the tablet and mounts out of the path of the passenger side airbag. I ended up with it more toward the middle and maybe a little higher. I've seen quite a few mounts that would likely turn into projectiles if the airbag deploys.

I ordered a Dell Venue 8 32G through my work benefits site. They had a special coupon deal on it for $50 off so I got it for $165 with tax and free shipping. It should be here tomorrow.

i wonder how much interest there is for having another one of our map/GPS clinics but focus on phones & tablets instead of traditional GPS devices...

Ok we tried out the tablet today and it worked nicely. However, we are noobs and would love a GPS clinic or coaching on how to set up BCN or Alpine Quest with maps/layers. What to do ahead of time...etc etc...

-Chris and Sarah

Ok we tried out the tablet today and it worked nicely. However, we are noobs and would love a GPS clinic or coaching on how to set up BCN or Alpine Quest with maps/layers. What to do ahead of time...etc etc...

-Chris and Sarah

we're working on a date for it!

I'm just finally getting the hang of using my Dell venue also. Got to use it going to the cove a few weeks back. My wife gets to navigate so she is looking at the tracks while I drive and also compare it with what I see on my phone. I didn't manage to delete my recorded tracks this time.

I had to RMA the tablet though just right after the return period. It developed a green vertical line along the screen edge and changes color depending on what's on screen. Dell took care of shipping to and back so that wasn't such a bad deal. I don't use it very often compared to my phone so the time it was out for repair was not as noticeable.

I do have BCN loaded in it, next thing to mess with is editing tracks. I found an open source one but have not messed with it yet.

Yes for a GPS clinic. My Nat Geo app has gone toes up I need to find a new app or apps for iOS .

Upatree

Give MotionX HD a try!

But here in this thread are nice tools listened too, what i will have to test ;)

Surfy