Sign in to follow this  
GOTMTNS

Recommendations for TOPO software?

Looking to purchase some TOPO software and hoping for recommendations. With camping, hunting and wheeling much more lately I want to be able to print my own maps to save money. Especially with my elk hunt this year, I plan on getting TOPOs for the majority of the unit so I can pre hike it and get some yardages and note beds and water holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

National Geographic has a pretty good one called "TOPO!" I bought mine a few years ago for $100, it covers the whole state. DeLorme also offers one called Topo USA. That one is a little less expensive, but still pretty good. Both offer true photo representations of USGS topo maps at their higher magnifications. The Topo USA shows them in their original state, while the National Geographic TOPO! overlays road and trail information that sometimes differs somewhat from the original maps.

Either is pretty good.

i had come across this software before when doing research, but have not personally used it. you can order maps from them printed on water resistant or fully laminated paper. specifically i noticed they have "Western State GMU maps. BLM map base with public land ownership and big game GMU boundaries" as an option that might interest you: http://www.mytopo.com/

i was pretty happy with Delorme Topo on the PC, but i didn't try the printing feature other than four a road trip. with delorme you get all the topo stuff as part of the cost of the software. you can then optionally pay a small yearly fee to get unlimited downloads of aerial/satellite photography too.

cool info thanks

National Geographic has a pretty good one called "TOPO!" I bought mine a few years ago for $100, it covers the whole state. DeLorme also offers one called Topo USA. That one is a little less expensive, but still pretty good. Both offer true photo representations of USGS topo maps at their higher magnifications. The Topo USA shows them in their original state, while the National Geographic TOPO! overlays road and trail information that sometimes differs somewhat from the original maps.

Either is pretty good.

i had come across this software before when doing research, but have not personally used it. you can order maps from them printed on water resistant or fully laminated paper. specifically i noticed they have "Western State GMU maps. BLM map base with public land ownership and big game GMU boundaries" as an option that might interest you: http://www.mytopo.com/

i was pretty happy with Delorme Topo on the PC, but i didn't try the printing feature other than four a road trip. with delorme you get all the topo stuff as part of the cost of the software. you can then optionally pay a small yearly fee to get unlimited downloads of aerial/satellite photography too.

Thanks guys, I like the idea of getting one I can use for hunting, off roading and my big road trips

I have had both FTW it is Delorme Topo US! when your PC is coupled to an active GPS you can almost run IFR in an off road area. Using the 3D feature I did about 3 weeks of scouting before I got on site in my GMU. I was able to see water wallows and saddles that looked good on the map but when i looked at in 3D I saw that i needed wings to get there. It saved me days of wasted time on the ground

Bob

If your needs are simple and you want a free solution, the USGS allows free downloads of PDF topo maps from this page:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

It may not be immediately obvious how to use the map. 1) Double click on the area you want to see repeatedly until you drill down to the topo map grids, then 2) click the radio button to the right that says "Mark Points". 3) Click on a map and leave a marker. 4) Right click on the marker and you'll see the maps available for download. 5) Under the "Download" column you see on the pop-up window, click the link for the map you want and it will download to your PC. 6) Open the downloaded file with a PDF reader and print as desired.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you do it, it's fast and easy.