Sign in to follow this  
ehall

2wd van buried

This could of ended badly. Ran across this group of college students from Ca. They were stuck near Harquahala mtn. in an area with no cell phone service.

905703895_rescue1.jpg.0fa6120e46d366b4dbaef87ceac69cd7.jpg

2118017042_rescue2.jpg.37af0a8a8124977aba80d5155fa633b9.jpg

431273732_rescue3.jpg.cee44f75c78a7caa0c77fa93053a91c0.jpg

1958438152_rescue4.jpg.283208d4cc66de45f3f0d202f6e1443e.jpg

853345532_rescue5.jpg.639a5aa0967cbecf7ba7e5dded28d57b.jpg

Kudos for tugging them out! I just have one question... a van load of college kids couldn't push the van out?

Hmmm, lets see here. Big heavy 2wd van on skinny tires, full of college kids and stuff, driving down a sandy wash. I wonder if they'll get any smarter after they get their degrees...

"Ya' caynt fix stupid" Ron White.

No degree in the world can make up for real life experience and these nice kids had none. They were on the last day of a 10 day camp trip for a desert biology class.

+1 karma for Ed!

we've all been in over our head before. at least they were young and fit, i'm sure they could've walked out - i'm also sure they were much happier they met you!

i see rocks and sticks behind the van, were they trying that to get traction or did you do that to help give them some floatation? the floormat trick works well also.

They had put a lot of effort in getting unstuck,digging out the tires, putting sticks and rocks under the tires, etc. but could only get it to move a couple feet. What you can't see in the picture is a 2' tall sand dune in front of the van so their only choice was to back up. They were beat and had given up and started walking when we found them. If they went the right way it was 15 miles to town, wrong way about 50.

Glad your little TJ didn't break anything while pulling them out! That looks like a heavy van for sure. Solid work Ed.

Way to go!!! You are a saint for helping them! Karma to you!

smiles, ladybug

Ed,

Great job! I am sure they were glad to have you help. I've been on both sides of that situation before. It's an experience that I am sure they will talk about for a while and have some good things to say about you and our sport.