Sign in to follow this  
matt@expaz

Summer trail / camping recommendation

Sometime this summer (hopefull the earlier the better), I want to try a 3 day camping trip. I would like to have the following:

1) Higher elevation than Tucson (cooler temps), maybe ~ 7000 feet

2) Two decent places to camp along the way (dry camping)

3) Preferably along water, creek or river for some of the trip and one of the camp sites

4) Along some dirt FS roads at least, wouldn't mind some 4WD trails too

5) Trees and scenery!

6) If would love to be able to visit some cool ruins, cabins, historic places

My first thoughts were somewhere around Sedona or Payson. I am leaning toward Payson since I've done much more around Sedona and would like to see what Payson has to offer.

Any recommendations? It doesn't have to be around Payson.

tough call. Most of the areas will most likely be closing for fire safety in the near future do to the rain we had earlier this year. I would think the only places that would meet the criteria would be the old highway 666 up the Arizona border. Hannagan meadows area and a trip down to the San Fransisco river would keep you at elevation. Always enjoyed hunting in that area.

Along those same lines, You could check out the Blue River just south of Luna Lake. The river is up in the pines and cool, there are several good camp sites along the road that follows the river for miles and miles, and there are indian ruins along the river, as well as cliff dwellings along Pueblo Park Rd (heading N-NE out of the town of Blue). The beautiful White Mtns in the summer, can't think of a better place to be.

tough call. Most of the areas will most likely be closing for fire safety in the near future do to the rain we had earlier this year. I would think the only places that would meet the criteria would be the old highway 666 up the Arizona border. Hannagan meadows area and a trip down to the San Fransisco river would keep you at elevation. Always enjoyed hunting in that area.

Just got back from a drive down that road about 15 minutes ago. Lots of fire damage between Alpine and Hannagan Meadow, but otherwise, just awesome. Saw lots of deer and a wild turkey and a few squirrels. What an AWESOME drive. I know it's not "Off Road", but I may start a thread and post some pics if anyone is interested

Rosevelt lake to young by way of cherry creek, North from young to canyon creek. Pavement back home. I have never done the trip but some people on the vjc did a nice trip report a few months ago.

Sorry I don't have time to list the trail numbers and map out a route for you, but if you go up Hwy. 87 past the Lake Mary Road and turn right toward the Blue Ridge Reservoir, you'll see multiple forest roads that go east and south and many meet up with the Rim Road (FR 300). You can pick many routes all along the Mogollon Rim until you get to Hwy. 260. FR 300 is sometimes closed during summer fire season, so you you'd need to check before you go. But that whole area offers much of what you're looking for, so you should check it out. http://goo.gl/maps/x67Ex

Has anyone tried the campsites on Mt. Lemmon in Tucson? Is it worth it or too crowded?

-Sarah

anything off of FR300 (rim road), which connects the 87 and 260 is awesome. there are multiple roads that spider off of it to the north to explore. on the south side of it is the Mogollon rim, which is beautiful. we often camp at least once during the summer over closer to the 87 end of it, right on the edge of the rim.

payson (and even pine/strawberry) can still be a little warm in the middle of the summer, but once you get up on the rim you're nearly 1,000 ft higher.

the area we are camping for the overland expo (near ashurst lake) is nice in the summer as well.

and add mingus mountain to the list (which we'll be doing on 6/1 - the smiley rock trip).

Has anyone tried the campsites on Mt. Lemmon in Tucson? Is it worth it or too crowded?

-Sarah

IMO, too crowded. I don't attempt it anymore.