Sign in to follow this  
Guardrail

Dugas Road

Does anybody know if Dugas Road is closed. I've been thinking about going down Dugas Rd to the Verde Hot Springs, then fording the river and heading through what used to be Childs, past Steyr lake and then to the Fossil Creek Rd. I know Fossil Creek Rd is closed just past the Fossil Springs trailhead going towards Strawberry, but it's open going out towards Camp Verde. After googling it, I get several different stories on whether you can get down the hill, ford the river and through Childs. Any info anybody has is welcome.

...Also, there's a ranch or something just off of FR 57 about half way in between FR 68 and FR 16. Has anybody been back in there? I looks like it's definitely worth checking out. I think there's a spring there that feeds a pond on the property. On Google Earth, it looks like they have a dock and maybe a small row boat or something there.

I don't know if it is closed or not, but I did do this run with friends a few years ago. Started in 7 springs, drove to the verde, did not cross. We drove up Dugas road to the top of the mountain, finding a " Dead end road" sign at the top (facing the way we came). We had a good laugh over that. FYI, Dugas road is very rocky on top of the mountain. Not technical, just very rough and slow going for about 3 miles.

SheepsbridgeMay10080.jpg

Curly

Yeah, I did this one with my Dad about 25 years ago. It was maintained then, easy drive. My brother told me about how rough it is at the top. How did you guys get from 7 springs to the river? Forest Rd. 16? I would think you then used FR 57 to get over to Dugas Rd? Would you have a GPS track by any chance?

Thanks.

Sorry, No gps track. I was following the leader, I don't remember which roads we took. The one from the river to the top of Dugas mtn was very overgrown. It hadn't seen traffic in a while.

Curly

Cool, thanks for the info.

We used a BLM map and a gps with AZ trails on it...and had a few wrong turns too. Ended up at a huge fence along the Pine Wilderness area that totally frustrated me until I figured out that I had made a wrong turn and had to go further down the road! There was def not alot of tracks out there! We camped along the way - 2 nights. One at Red Creek (I think thats what its called) after a side trip to Sheeps Bridge, and another along Dugas Road along the way up, as it was getting late. Great fun, but as Tim said, very rocky at the top. I would run it in the same direction when we go again...HOpefully next fall. Can't do it in the next few weeks and its getting hot out there. If I were you, I would call the CaveCreek BLM office and talk to them.

smiles, ladybug

We used a BLM map and a gps with AZ trails on it...and had a few wrong turns too. Ended up at a huge fence along the Pine Wilderness area that totally frustrated me until I figured out that I had made a wrong turn and had to go further down the road! There was def not alot of tracks out there! We camped along the way - 2 nights. One at Red Creek (I think thats what its called) after a side trip to Sheeps Bridge, and another along Dugas Road along the way up, as it was getting late. Great fun, but as Tim said, very rocky at the top. I would run it in the same direction when we go again...HOpefully next fall. Can't do it in the next few weeks and its getting hot out there. If I were you, I would call the CaveCreek BLM office and talk to them.

smiles, ladybug

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm thinking about making a run in the fall myself, maybe we can coordinate? At this point, I'm thinking of coming in from Camp Verde to check out Irving and Childs. If the gate at Childs is closed, I would ford at the lower crossing, take FR 16 up to FR 57, north to Dugas, then back down to Verde Hot Springs. There appears to be a cool little ranch or something along FR 57 I'd really like to check out on the way by. With that said, I'm totally open to suggestion if somebody else is interested in going.