Sign in to follow this  
kaspily

Prescott Area

Chris and I are spending three nights in Prescott/Sedona area before the Smiley Rock Trip. Anyone have a favorite trail in this area? Looking for an easy to moderate trail. We have run a bunch in the Sedona area but were hoping to see what Prescott/Sedona had to offer that we have missed. We have done the Senator Highway to Crown King route a while back.

Thanks in advance.

-Sarah

These trails are all in Sedona.

If y'all haven't yet, check out Broken Arrow. It's easy/barely moderate, and can be packed with vehicles, but it's a fun trail and has some of the best scenery around. Tell Chris to run the staircase upwards; he'll enjoy that.

Other than that,

• Soldier's pass is a short, easy, and fun trail.
  • Greasy Spoon is a very easy trail.
  • Dry Creek basin is a trail I've wanted to run but haven't yet. There are supposed to be some great views from offshoots from this trail. This is also the route to get to VanDeren cabin.

There are more, but I can't think of them now. If you want, I'll look for them when I get home.

wish there was dry camping near by besides the camp grounds. looks like the only place is north of

Sedona on hwy 89

i haven't yet run the Red Rock Powerline trail (#20 in the new wells book). it's rated "difficult" but sounds like more of a moderate really.

i'm going to try and come up that Friday and run with you guys, do you want to tentatively plan for this trail? we can firm up a meeting place/time when it gets closer if that sounds good.

EDIT - there are also some forest roads near Cottonwood/Clarkdale that i've always wanted to explore, not sure if they would turn out to be anything worth seeing, but i'm up for that as an alternative.

The red rock powerline trail sounds fun. Depending on how long that takes maybe we'd have time to check out the Cottonwood forest roads as well. We are staying at the Motor Lodge in Prescott. I'll send you our cell phone numbers so we can figure out where to meet. Thanks for coming up early :)