Sign in to follow this  
Guardrail

If your going to be in or near the Gila River, heads up.

If your going to be 'wheeling in the Florence, Florence Junction, or Kearny areas and your trip may take you into or across the Gila River, be careful. I just went to Coolidge Dam, upstream from all these places, and this is what I found:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1604&stc=1&d=1369113035

That stuff floating in the water is MANY, MANY THOUSANDS of DEAD FISH!

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up before any of you go playing in the water.

Damn, they had an algae bloom. Happens from time to time.

Wasn't sure of the cause, just sure of the results.

How does that effect the fish?

A couple of weeks ago, some parts of the San Carlos reservation lost electricity because they depend on the dam turbines. It's kind of hard to run a turbine without water.

I don't know how the river was running flowing into San Carlos, but I can tell you what was coming out was just a trickle. I don't see much electricity coming from that.

according to wikipedia:

After it was built, the reservoir filled gradually. Because of irrigation needs, the water level at the lake sometimes is low enough to kill its self-sustaining fish, but during wet years, the water can overtop Coolidge Dam. Since construction of the dam, the lake has been nearly empty at least 20 times, and has been full only three times.

also i was under the impression the hydroelectric portion of the dam has not been operational for a long time.

P1030867.JPG

The alge sucks all the usable o2 out of the water and the fish essentially suffocate. Thank you NatGeo

• Like 1

I can remember several of the "die Offs" San Carlos lake has had. The water just gets low, the algae takes over and hte fish die off. Sad to see as in years past this was one of my favorite lakes to catch crappie in. Have not been there in a while because it never really recovered from the last die off. The loss of the fish really hurts the economy there also. The B.A.S.S. used to hold tournaments there that would generate a lot of money for the locals. The spring time fishing also brought in a substantial bit of income. Sad to see the lake in this condition.

Yeah, the place looked like a ghost town. All of the entrances into the interior of the dam were welded shut. One or two had serious padlocks on them, but it looked like they hadn't been used in a VERY long time. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to circle around to the base of the dam. I would have liked to check it out from that angle too.

Yeah, the place looked like a ghost town. All of the entrances into the interior of the dam were welded shut. One or two had serious padlocks on them, but it looked like they hadn't been used in a VERY long time. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to circle around to the base of the dam. I would have liked to check it out from that angle too.

don't take my picture as condoning going back there ;) usually there is a locked gate preventing access to the bottom, it just happened to be open when GearHead and i were there, so we investigated! we got stern words from a native american government worker though...