Sign in to follow this  
Guardrail

If your going to be in or near the Gila River, heads up.

don't take my picture as condoning going back there ;) usually there is a locked gate preventing access to the bottom, it just happened to be open when GearHead and i were there, so we investigated! we got stern words from a native american government worker though...

Did you take the road from the top of the dam, or the well graded road that cuts off about half way back to the highway?

Did you take the road from the top of the dam, or the well graded road that cuts off about half way back to the highway?

the road from the top of the damn with the gate. i saw that other road and wondered if you could use it to get to the bottom or not...

however, everything south of the main highway that takes you around the lake is off-limits the last time i checked. you can't even get a permit to go there, apparently it's not even open for the tribe to use... i guess it's similar to a "wilderness" designation.

for the rest of the San Carlos tribal land you need a recreation permit to "camp, picnic, hike, or venture onto back roads", or a hunting/fishing permit. the site with the map showing the area as off-limits seems to be down currently (http://www.scatrwd.com/)... but this page has the organization's phone number: http://www.sancarlosapache.com/Permits_Information.htm

it lists only one place in the Phoenix area to get a permit, but i thought there used to be a couple places in Mesa and i think it was like $5 or $10 for a day use permit.

on a side note, there's an area accessible from the bottom of Cherry Creek road that goes into their land which i want to explore some day...