Sign in to follow this  
tucsonWJ

Wj spring retainer / bump stop?

Question for the WJ guys or anyone else that may have an idea. I have been looking at the IRO front spring retainer and also reading about people that are just using 2.5 exhaust to make the top retainer, then I had an idea and wanted to see if anyone thought it might be feasible. So my thought was to buy a 2" can for the hydrolic bump stop and mount that as the retainer. Now the question is would a hydrolic bump stop actually work as a bump stop if the length was correct or would the arc of the articulation make it not line it up with the base of the spring? Not really sure if it would work so any thoughts positive or negative would be appreciated.

it should work, i had considered that as well if i ever had the money to get hydro bumps. just be sure you size it correctly with your shocks so that it fully bottoms out before the shocks do. i would assume you could then remove the foam bump stops.

i would not waste money on the IRO stops, they are a fine piece of metal, but that's all. you still need to fabricate a stiffer place for them to screw into or they will rip out of the factory thin unibody metal when the spring is against them repeated times (so you might as well fab something completely from scratch).

P1010418.JPG

I was looking at the daystar bumps stops to start. They aren't hydro but they are different stiffness of I believe rubber of foam inserts and they are only about $100 and some change. If you put the clamping part of the can on the bottom then you will be able to move the bump stop up and down to get the perfect length bump stop.

i think you might be able to get different densities of the daystar foam - but overall it's pretty much the same thing as the factory foam, just in a more complex container. i like the idea of dial-a-height for the bumps, but i'd say that's the only advantage you are getting with them. maybe someone else who has them can say more...

K, how long did it take for the IRO retainers to rip out? I can hear mine contacting the springs when they articulate and was wondering how long it would be before they broke off on the trail.

K, how long did it take for the IRO retainers to rip out? I can hear mine contacting the springs when they articulate and was wondering how long it would be before they broke off on the trail.

my front ones ripped out after just a few runs, so i had a shop weld on a thicker plate for them to screw into. i a had them do the rears too but i don't think those are as much of a problem. i guess how long they last depends on how much and often you are really articulating it a lot.

Well I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, but sounds like it won't take too long.

Search the internet, what you are thinking about making is already for sale. Even if you wanted to do it yourself you can look at theres to get some ideas.

Yea JKS make the ADOC with the integrated bump stop but when all is said and done it is still right around $1000. And that doesn't even take in account they are not made for the WJ so they would have to be modified to install. I just don't know if the benefits out way the time and effort. If I could get it to work in the stock location with some stock parts it may work. All I really want is for them to be adjustable.

Hate to bring this back up but if you move the bump stop from its original location, to inside the spring, does the length of the bump stop change? They say you should extend you bump stops to within an inch or half an inch of you lift height at the stock location, but if you move them out farther on the axel does that change the length needed?