Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Chrysler refuses to recall 2.7 million Grand Cherokees

This is Chrysler's analysis of the case. Looks like they thoroughly examined the situation to me, and have valid data to back their decision. When you think about it, they must, otherwise it would have a horrible impact on all Jeep sales. Interesting find, K.

http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/Investor/PressReleases/ChryslerDocuments/NHTSARecallWhitePaperNew.pdf?ism=RGJun0413Facebook11

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

I think the incidents of fire are so low compared to total vehicles on the road, that this is a non-issue. I don't feel unsafe in my WJ at all. Any vehicle sitting at a standstill and hit by an eighteen wheeler going 65 mph could burst into flames.

Copyright infringement? After all, Chevy has the real Blazer.:D

Curly

Copyright infringement? After all, Chevy has the real Blazer.:D

Curly

Ha! That's funny right there! :highfive:

Any vehicle standing still and hit by a vehicle going 55mph is not going to fair too well. Chances are it is a moot point. That is why the state road workers trucks have the water filled barricades on the back is to absorb some of the energy before it hits metal. Guess we could all put one of those on.

This is a roaring debate on some of my other forums. I tend to never side with a manufacturer in cases like these, but like D said, Chrysler "seems" to have really done their homework, and it's pretty unlikely that they'd jeopardize their entire company to save a few million dollars on a recall...

Also, the upside is that it's pretty possible that the value of WJs and libbys could drastically drop because of this. That means cheap Jeeps for all of us!!

EDIT: Not a few million dollars... Estimated $300-500 million.

That's a lot of jeeps.