Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Chrysler refuses to recall 2.7 million Grand Cherokees

Maybe Chrysler should get Dateline NBC to test the Jeeps like they did the GM truck a few years ago!

Or the 15 passenger vans from a few years back....

here you go:

This is a roaring debate on some of my other forums. I tend to never side with a manufacturer in cases like these, but like D said, Chrysler "seems" to have really done their homework, and it's pretty unlikely that they'd jeopardize their entire company to save a few million dollars on a recall...

Also, the upside is that it's pretty possible that the value of WJs and libbys could drastically drop because of this. That means cheap Jeeps for all of us!!

EDIT: Not a few million dollars... Estimated $300-500 million.

You should watch "Class Action" w Gene Hackman

here you go:

I've seen this video and different camera angles of it floating around on the internet in various WJ gas tank threads for months. I don't see what it proves. I don't see flames. I also have never seen anything posted as to what speed the Taurus is going when they plow it off-center into the rear of the stationary WJ. It's pretty cool to watch crash testing videos, but I don't see the correlation between the video and the subject matter. Is there a follow-up video somewhere showing fuel spillage or fire caused by the above crash?

So crazy I just heard about this from a friend, I was totally thinking he was joking, but nope!

And we have a recall. Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/06/18/chrysler-agrees-to-recall-jeeps-at-risk-fire/

thanks for the update Virgil!

looks like no-one will be without a tow-point now, bonus:

Chrysler said Tuesday that dealers will inspect the vehicles and install trailer hitches to protect the gas tanks. The company said vehicles without hitches will get them, as will those with broken hitches or hitches that aren't from Chrysler.

Although I understand Chrysler's decision to back down (based on the whole damned if you do and damned if you don't position that they found themselves in), I still feel that Chrysler was right to initially refuse to issue any recalls. I'm disappointed that they didn't continue to stand their ground against NHTSA.

I'm going to need to borrow someone's GoPro if I decide to take my WJ to a dealership for the recall. I want to record the employees' dropped jaw looks that are certain to take place upon their seeing the relocation of fuel tank into the area that used to be the spare tire carrier. There should be plenty of head scratching over how one ton Ford Super Duty axles might have come to live under the Jeep too. ;)

Chrysler's statement:

June 18, 2013

Chrysler Group and NHTSA Resolve Recall Request

Auburn Hills, Mich. , Jun 18, 2013 Chrysler Group LLC and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have resolved their differences with respect to NHTSA’s request to recall 1993 - 2004 Jeep® Grand Cherokee and 2002 - 07 Jeep Liberty vehicles.

As a result of the agreement, Chrysler Group will conduct a voluntary campaign with respect to the vehicles in question that, in addition to a visual inspection of the vehicle will, if necessary, provide an upgrade to the rear structure of the vehicle to better manage crash forces in low speed impacts.

Chrysler Group’s analysis of the data confirms that these vehicles are not defective and are among the safest in the peer group. Nonetheless, Chrysler Group recognizes that this matter has raised concerns for its customers and wants to take further steps, in coordination with NHTSA, to provide additional measures to supplement the safety of its vehicles.

Chrysler Group regards safety as a paramount concern and does not compromise on the safety of our customers and their families.

###

Additional information and news from Chrysler Group LLC is available at http://www.media.chrysler.com.

Source