Sign in to follow this  
HEMI Kyle

Harquahala Peak 26May13

A couple friends made the run up to Harquahala Peak with me. The Toyota unfortunately just didn't have the power to make it all the way to the top. About 10 minutes from the top he had to turn around. However, I was very impressed with how far he made it. We all had a great time. Not a hard trail at all by your standards I am sure.

DSC_0425_zpsfa7b9333.jpg

DSC_0434_zps0fd556b1.jpg

DSC_0436_zps722b1eb0.jpg

DSC_0447_zps8943f15d.jpg

DSC_0454_zpse91f4aa7.jpg

DSC_0455_zps476b4049.jpg

DSC_0470_zps16cffa16.jpg

DSC_0486_zps04e3da0f.jpg

DSC_0488_zpsef8c4e87.jpg

DSC_0505_zps3a8df4ec.jpg

DSC_0509_zpsd5797d30.jpg

DSC_0514_zpsab5efc9c.jpg

DSC_0521_zpsde2c63ca.jpg

nice pics, thanks for sharing! what kind of toyota is that? did it not have a low range?

It's a Rav4....nope...no low range and completely stock. Still had dealer plates on it. I have never seen it happen before but on one of the last inclines it just didn't go. He had it floored and it wasn't spinning....that was the last thing I expected to stop it.

That's always a nice drive and usually about 20 degrees cooler and windy at the top.

That's always a nice drive and usually about 20 degrees cooler and windy at the top.

Yeah....I had gone there about 3 or 4 years ago. It is a little rougher than I remember but overall a pretty easy trip. It is a nice spot to go to during a weekend for lunch.

Nice photos!

I've done this a couple times now since I work practically down the street from there. It's a good run.

It's a Rav4....nope...no low range and completely stock. Still had dealer plates on it. I have never seen it happen before but on one of the last inclines it just didn't go. He had it floored and it wasn't spinning....that was the last thing I expected to stop it.
This situation is exactly why serious off-road vehicle are equipped with a lo-range option.

Without the option of sufficiently low gearing of the Rav-4 (not to mention a host of other off-road capable pretenders), what was happening was the automatic transmission's torque convertor had reached what is know as "stall". This is the point at which there is insufficient torque form the engine to spin the convertor hard enough to drive the wheels. IE: the torque multiplication of the convertor is simply not enough to overcome the load demands of the situation.

Correctable by one of two or a combination of these two things... Lower gearing (thus the lo range for serious off-road vehicles...), and/or more engine torque...

• Like 1

Some really cool photos. Been there a few times myself. About a mile to the east, down in a valley, there is an old rancher's/miner's cabin. The walls are still intact, but the roof is gone. Went camping there once, just threw a tarp over the top...BAM! instant shelter. You need a decent 4wd and disregard for your paint to get there, but it's pretty cool once you're there.

That old corrugated shack near the microwave array is a solar observatory built in the 1930's. The last time I was up there, they had taken all the signs down with information about it. Too bad really.