Sign in to follow this  
matt@expaz

Mogollon Rim Camping and Exploring Trip

So, do you think there was a prescribed burn in progress and the cars belonged to the firefighters who were keeping an eye on it?

So, do you think there was a prescribed burn in progress and the cars belonged to the firefighters who were keeping an eye on it?

That makes a lot of sense, only that it seems strange that they would be doing a prescribed burn during extreme fire danger time??

WAHAHAHOW, MAN! As usual, great story Matt. Love the photos.

As far as the fire is concerned, I was thinking the same thing as gcdaz. But it is odd that they would do that during this time of year.

An interesting and little known fact about Blue Ridge Reservoir:

The reservoir is formed by damming up East Clear Creek. Some of the water is allowed to flow downstream into its natural course down East Clear Creek. The rest of the water is pumped into an aqueduct which goes south across the Mogollon Plateau, over the edge of the Mogollon Rim, and down to a place called Washington Park where it is released into...Are you ready for this...The East Verde River. Although there are some natural springs that feed the East Verde River year round just south of where Control Rd. crosses it, much of the water you are seeing there came from Blue Ridge Reservoir. It isn't pumped there all year, but unfortunately, I don't know the pumping schedule.

So, in a strange way, when you stopped at the East Verde River, you were actually looking at East Clear Creek.

Kinda cool, huh?

An interesting and little known fact about Blue Ridge Reservoir:

The reservoir is formed by damming up East Clear Creek. Some of the water is allowed to flow downstream into its natural course down East Clear Creek. The rest of the water is pumped into an aqueduct which goes south across the Mogollon Plateau, over the edge of the Mogollon Rim, and down to a place called Washington Park where it is released into...Are you ready for this...The East Verde River. Although there are some natural springs that feed the East Verde River year round just south of where Control Rd. crosses it, much of the water you are seeing there came from Blue Ridge Reservoir. It isn't pumped there all year, but unfortunately, I don't know the pumping schedule.

So, in a strange way, when you stopped at the East Verde River, you were actually looking at East Clear Creek.

Kinda cool, huh?

Wow! Didn't know that. Very cool. Glad I didn't pee in the Blue Ridge Reservoir, I would have been wading through it later that day in the East Verde River :eek:.

Do you know why the Forest Service is calling the BRR the CC Cragin Reservoir now? I hope it's not like stadiums and they are getting corporate sponsors and they'll name a lake or reservoir after you if you pay enough money.

Or maybe I could do that?? All I can afford is $20, so maybe I could have the "Experience Arizona Tank" which would be a 20 foot diameter mud hole - perfect! ;)

It looks like there was at least a strong interest in thinning the forest in the Blue Ridge area earlier this year. They may have been burning trash piles after thinning. http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2013/apr/12/wildfire/

Great trip report, Matt! Another place to add to my to-do list.

Wow! Didn't know that. Very cool. Glad I didn't pee in the Blue Ridge Reservoir, I would have been wading through it later that day in the East Verde River :eek:.

LMAO!

Do you know why the Forest Service is calling the BRR the CC Cragin Reservoir now? I hope it's not like stadiums and they are getting corporate sponsors and they'll name a lake or reservoir after you if you pay enough money.

Or maybe I could do that?? All I can afford is $20, so maybe I could have the "Experience Arizona Tank" which would be a 20 foot diameter mud hole - perfect! ;)

Here Matt, maybe you can afford this one. It's claimed to be Arizona's smallest lake...

[ATTACH]1703[/ATTACH]

$20 might not do it, but I'll bet ya' $50 will.

Imagine what ECC would be like if it were allowed to flow naturally. Maybe you could slide down that water slide after all.

http://www.srpnet.com/water/dams/cragin.aspx