Sign in to follow this  
matt@expaz

Can sunglasses (or lack thereof) save you from a mountain lion attack?

I hope I can remember that if/when the time comes. :rolleyes:

Fascinating. George:cool:

Hmmm. Wonder if that's what actually changed the mountain lion's mind. Interesting.

I heard a similar story out of India. Seems many local villagers were being attacked by tigers. The attacks always seemed to be coming from behind, so the villagers started wearing masks on the back of their head, confusing the tigers into thinking there was no direction they could attack from without being seen. Allegedly, tiger attacks dropped to near zero afterwards.

Don't know if it's urban legend or not, but that's what I heard.

The attacks always seemed to be coming from behind, so the villagers started wearing masks on the back of their head, confusing the tigers into thinking there was no direction they could attack from without being seen.

That is part of their "stalking." Many predators go for the back of the neck. Neat story about the villagers!

Fishermen and bushmen originally created masks made to look like faces to wear on the back of their heads because tigers always attack from behind. This worked for a short time, but the tigers quickly realized it was a hoax, and the attacks continued. Government officials wear stiff pads that rise up the back of the neck, similar to the pads of an American football player. This is to prevent the tigers from biting into the spine, which is their favored attack method. -Wiki article

A-mask-is-shown-being-put-on-the-back-of-honey-collector-Madhusudhan-Mondals-head-in-Bali-a-village-in-the-Sundarbans-India-Tuesday-Aug.-5-2008.-The-Sundarbans-forest-a-remote-tangle-of-unforgiving-islands-dangling-off-the-960x602.jpg

That is part of their "stalking." Many predators go for the back of the neck. Neat story about the villagers!

A-mask-is-shown-being-put-on-the-back-of-honey-collector-Madhusudhan-Mondals-head-in-Bali-a-village-in-the-Sundarbans-India-Tuesday-Aug.-5-2008.-The-Sundarbans-forest-a-remote-tangle-of-unforgiving-islands-dangling-off-the-960x602.jpg

Thanks Grunt, for backing that up.

People would be amazed if they knew how many there are and where mountaion lions live. I just finished a volunteer project with the az game and fish where we trapped 3 lions and put GPS collars on them to monitor their movement. They really cover a lot of area, sometimes 10 miles in a night.

here is one getting the collar attatched and a health check.

2080660236_lion1.thumb.jpg.398f93069f0227ea9b5e1fef6d66af3e.jpg

after the sedative wears off they are still a little disoriented.

159269914_RF094-9-13(5)2.thumb.JPG.573072106de5c0b8b086eea6be43411e.JPG

It is amazing what eye contact can do to animals.