Sign in to follow this  
ZenDragon

2014 Jeep Cherokee O_o

So I just saw this thing for the first time on the web.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/cherokee/#model=limited&color=deep_cherry_red

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-jeep-cherokee-trailhawk-new-york-2013/#photo-5774558/

I think this thing is hideous. A disgrace to the heritage of the line. Its 4 wheel independent suspension is derived from a freaking dodge dart for f**ks sake. What the hell are then thinking?!? O_o

What do you guys think?

I agree that it's ugly, but remember that thing called CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) mandated by the government. They have to build fuel efficient vehicles like the Patriot/Compass/Cherokee in order for them to continue making Wranglers and SRT8 Grand Cherokees. Not every Jeep vehicle will be built to take on the Rubicon Trail although apparently the new Cherokee can with a large team of rock stackers, but that's a whole 'nother thread here on the forum

I agree that it's ugly, but remember that thing called CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) mandated by the government. They have to build fuel efficient vehicles like the Patriot/Compass/Cherokee in order for them to continue making Wranglers and SRT8 Grand Cherokees. Not every Jeep vehicle will be built to take on the Rubicon Trail although apparently the new Cherokee can with a large team of rock stackers, but that's a whole 'nother thread here on the forum

It's just unfortunate. With the wrangler getting so expensive, 25k for a base model, and almost 40 for a rubicon, its out of reach of a lot of enthusiasts who actually want to off-road their vehicles. The only alternative to an expensive Wrangler is older model Cherokees and Wranglers. In my opinion, the market niche that the Cherokee filled before was that if an affordable and capable 4x4 that didn't sacrifice interior usability like the Wrangler. This on the other hand, is just another crossover suv that is hardly any more capable off-road than a subaru forester. In fact they already have something in the grocery getter 4x4 market range with the Compass, and otherwise the Liberty was much more capable off road. It just doesn't make any sense, what market need were they trying to fulfill? I understand the need to meet "CAFE" requirements, but they could have done that with a couple of their other lines, and/or at the very least come out with a line of entry level 4x4s that both met CAFE requirements AND honored the heritage of the brand. This just makes me embarrassed to own a Cherokee to be honest.

Looking at the numbers, it'll outperform an XJ. I have to respect that.

Looking at the numbers, it'll outperform an XJ. I have to respect that.

Out perform it how? I mean, how often are you going to be going 0-60 on the trail? Gas mileage? Sure I can get on board with that, but otherwise the fact of the matter is, with a suspension setup like that its almost useless on any trail harder than say a 4 out of 10 difficulty. I have seen even H3s, FJs. and all kinds of stuff, get stuck on some of the most absurdly easily obstacles because of the lack of wheel travel on the independent front suspension.

I do realize that not everybody off roads, if you just want a grocery getter that has 4wd for the snow or do some light off roading to a decent camping spot then this is probably fine. But it is not a capable rig regardless of how you look at it.Obviously its just my opinion, but I just think this thing as pretty much relegated the whole line to mediocrity.

Out perform it how?

This is what I have seen before...if I am wrong let me know. I don't want to be passing on false information:

-MPG: Like you said, it's better. Chrysler says it'll get 31MPG for the 2014, my 2WD XJ got 21 at it's best.

-Power: The 4.0 (while an amazing engine I swear by) got 190HP and 225ft/lbs. The 2014 Cherokee should get 271 HP and 239 ft/lbs.

-Better angles: Approach Angle: 38º (XJ) versus 29.8º (2014) Departure Angle: 31º (XJ) versus 32.1º (2014) Breakover Angle: 21º (XJ) versus 23.2º (2014

-Height: .4 inches higher out of the box.

I'm not saying it's going to but the XJ in the shadows, I just think for someone who wants a daily driver with decent off-road abilities as-is, this will fit the order. Honestly, if I part with my truck (which I often think about) for a more spacious, fuel efficient, all around needs vehicle at a decent price, the new Cherokee may fit my needs. Again, I'm just staying optimistic and open minded.

Here's something interesting now that you mention CAFE mandates. Take a look at the Jeep line up for 2013 compared to 2014. Tell me what you see (or don't see):

998267_594573433898167_1573638366_n.jpg

945589_594573437231500_375058419_n.jpg

So explain that? :rolleyes:

lol nice catch. Missing wrangler mystery!

It's just unfortunate. With the wrangler getting so expensive, 25k for a base model, and almost 40 for a rubicon, its out of reach of a lot of enthusiasts who actually want to off-road their vehicles. The only alternative to an expensive Wrangler is older model Cherokees and Wranglers.

Don't leave out the 93 to 04 Grand Cherokees. ;) I'm partial to my 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland which is as close as you can get to a "Rubicon" version of the Grand Cherokee. It was nearly 40K new... twelve years ago. And just like my Overland when it was sold new, I bet most Rubicons sold don't see much that resembles off-road. I bought my Grand Cherokee for 9K two years ago. In ten or twelve years, you'll be able to buy a 2013 Rubicon for a third of its current sticker price. I understand your frustration, though. I had a 91 Cherokee some years ago, and I really enjoyed it. If they were still making XJs with solid front axles, I'd buy one.

553078_534286129927704_1614476123_n_zpsfb54ae95.jpg