Sign in to follow this  
Guardrail

Black River

I'm going to be up in Heber over the 4th of July weekend. I was thinking about driving over to check out the Black River on one of those days. Anybody been that way? Is it worth a one day drive? Like to know.

I'm going to be up in Heber over the 4th of July weekend. I was thinking about driving over to check out the Black River on one of those days. Anybody been that way? Is it worth a one day drive? Like to know.

It USED to be worth a one day drive. I believe the area that I used to visit was destoyed by the big fire. I don't know what condition the area is in now or the exent of fire damage. Here's the write up I have on the portion of the Black River I used to go to: http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/blackriver/blackriver.html

If you decide to go, let me know how it is!

Thanks Matt. I knew I should have checked for it on your site. Do you know if the area is still closed?

I was thinking of coming in down 273/261 to the 3 Forks area. Then I was going to head east on 403 to 276. I want to take 276 SW, it follows the Black River Canyon for quite a ways before reaching Buffalo Crossing. From there I want to take 25 west to 68 and head north up the West Fork of the Black River and past Big Lake on my way back to 273. If time allows, I'll take a side trip to the confluence of Thompson Creek and the Upper West Fork of the Black River. (I believe that has to be the longest river name for any river in the U.S.)

I'm really excited to do this trip. I can't wait.

My buddy was somewhere up there last weekend and his pics were amazing, saw lots of animals including a sow with 3 cubs.

Here's a site to a map in the area of open and closed roads/areas: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5380944.pdf

Even if a road is open, I don't know how much damage the surrounding area took in the Wallow Fire.

Thanks Matt, I'll check that out.