Sign in to follow this  
Number7

What type of trails do you like to run?

With the obvious limitiations from my rig, I am stuck with easy to lightly moderate trails. However, my favorite places to go are the more exploration area types versus a single dedicated trail. There is an area I go to out here in the West Valley that has a countless number of trails with obstacles of all types and difficulty levels. It's only downfall is that a lot of people use it for a shooting area so you have to be careful where you go.....it can be a warzone at times. That and there really is nothing interesting out there. I really enjoy trails with something to see....like a historical point of interest or a beautiful natural scene of some sort.

Would this happen to be off Miller Road?

Would this happen to be off Miller Road?

Basically....but I always take Watson.

...I have more smashed up skid plates under the JK then I would have ever thought possible. I am now seriously looking at a lift kit something I said I would never need with a Rubicon. Ha ha ha stock trails, it really depends who you run with and the line you take...

get that lift and we'll go back to the Swell and all try Fix-It Pass!

I like trails that go somewhere--old mine, ghost town, ruins, canyon, whatever... Don't enjoy difficult for the sake of difficult, but don't mind having to get past an obstacle in order to explore. My favorite is to just go and see what's out there. And get back with Jeep intact.

x2 My thoughts exactly

I like trails that go somewhere--old mine, ghost town, ruins, canyon, whatever... Don't enjoy difficult for the sake of difficult, but don't mind having to get past an obstacle in order to explore. My favorite is to just go and see what's out there. And get back with Jeep intact.

About how I feel.

Curly

I have to agree with this. I don't like damage to my Jeep and want to be confident that I can get back and be ready for the next run. I have some scrapes on fender, etc. but I can live with that because I can still get back home.

A difficult trail with challenging obstacles appeals to me.

Especially one that has a nice shady lunch spot or, more preferably; a shady lunch spot next to a stream, river, or lake you can swim in.

I like to run trails that are just a bit beyond my comfort level for me and Big Jake. He's stock except for a leveling kit, and 35's, but pretty capable none the less. I like to see just what we can achieve without being stupid. So I would have to say moderate to difficult. To put some perspective to it, climbing the ledge just north of the Coke Ovens on the way to Box Canyon is exactly the type of trail I'm talking about.

I also feel this way. I do like to be pushed a little beyond my confort level, especially when I am with someone/people who are more expeinced than I am to guide me along and stop me from doing something I shouldn't - which is one of the many reasons I like going out on runs with the Off Road Passport group.

This pretty much sums it up for me too - I do love the journey, but I prefer there to be a destination in mind.

With the obvious limitiations from my rig, I am stuck with easy to lightly moderate trails. However, my favorite places to go are the more exploration area types versus a single dedicated trail. There is an area I go to out here in the West Valley that has a countless number of trails with obstacles of all types and difficulty levels. It's only downfall is that a lot of people use it for a shooting area so you have to be careful where you go.....it can be a warzone at times. That and there really is nothing interesting out there. I really enjoy trails with something to see....like a historical point of interest or a beautiful natural scene of some sort.

I take it you've run "The Gap". It's off of Watson, when Watson turns left toward the sand hill, take a right on the side road and follow it. That's a pretty cool trail. Spent a lot of time in the 'Tanks, I can show you some pretty cool stuff out there sometime. The buttes, caves and all, the "White Butte", a couple of water collectors and stock tanks. What do you say all of us westsiders do a run after it cools off a bit. (I work outside. I don't go out in the heat unless I'm being paid a LOT of money). Let me know what you think.

P.S. Anyone is welcome, just mentioned the Westsiders because that area is convenient for us.

get that lift and we'll go back to the Swell and all try Fix-It Pass!

Yep it does seem to be on "those Mike Buckner runs" where I have experienced MOST (but not all of) those close to earth meetings. Fix-It Pass has yet to be conquered, but it lead to the alternate route and jumping off the bank and crossing the river that 8 degree morning. That trip definitely had a few challenging spots for my longgggggggg wheel based JK. That was my most challenging trip to date. I guess you could say that was a difficult trail.