Sign in to follow this  
Number7

What type of trails do you like to run?

I take it you've run "The Gap". It's off of Watson, when Watson turns left toward the sand hill, take a right on the side road and follow it. That's a pretty cool trail. Spent a lot of time in the 'Tanks, I can show you some pretty cool stuff out there sometime. The buttes, caves and all, the "White Butte", a couple of water collectors and stock tanks. What do you say all of us westsiders do a run after it cools off a bit. (I work outside. I don't go out in the heat unless I'm being paid a LOT of money). Let me know what you think.

P.S. Anyone is welcome, just mentioned the Westsiders because that area is convenient for us.

I actually haven't been in that area.....I never really go east of the sand hill. Guess I will have to explore more. I would most definitely be down for a group run at the tanks.

I like trails that have variations of easy, moderate and difficult areas. I like to ride trails just for the ride, but I also like trails that go places off the beaten path - ghost towns and such. I'm not to much into rock crawling over huge boulders, but I do like to have a little challenge now and then. I love trails that you have to get into 4-low on.

Pretty much like the rest of you here.

Sometimes I like going back to certain trails just to try a different line, to see the views, or just to get a breath of fresh air once in a while.

That is why I like the trails up on Ft Huchuca so much, because they have about everything you want to try, from easy to difficult. Only there is no overnight camping up there, which is kind of a bummer....

I actually haven't been in that area.....I never really go east of the sand hill. Guess I will have to explore more. I would most definitely be down for a group run at the tanks.

Cool! Let's keep this in mind and set something up once it cools off. I'm in!

I like a bit of a challenge so in the Ram about 3s, in my old Jeep that I miss so much that meant 3/4 if there was scenery and 5s if I was just going to wheel and challenge myself.

I love being on the trail whether it's hard or easy. Being out gives me a sense of freedom. A hard trail with some challenging obstacles that leads to an exotic location that is only accessible by a few is my favorite. George:cool:

it seems most people responded that they want a reason to be on the trail beyond just running a trail (scenery, geological/historical interest, etc.). most people also said they will run whatever difficulty level, so long as they don't damage their rig. that last part is key though - the capability of each person's rig can vary greatly and everyone's experience/skill level is also different, both factors affect what type of trail you can run without significant risk of damage.

everyone's definition for "difficult" changes as they gain experience and mod their vehicle. when you first start out, anything needing 4-LO on a stock rig seems difficult. i guess you can't appreciate every level of a mountain until you've stood at the top. i'm certainly not there yet, but these days i do have a much better understanding of the nuances between even a half point on the 1-5 scale than i did when i went on my first couple organized "Jeep runs".

just remember that no-one here is going to give you too much grief for taking "the easy line", or backing out if you realize you are in over your head. we will encourage you to go just outside your comfort zone though, otherwise you never learn anything new!

in response to G's original question:

- exploration factor: i love to explore the unknown. points if the trail is new to me, major points if it's an obscure trail that looks like hardly anyone ever visits it.

- varied terrain and landscape: keep me guessing! take me through a tight muddy forest, throw in some river crossings, then on into the grasslands and maybe even further to the edges of a desert with high speed trails; finish it off with a rock crawl in a wash... that's a perfect trail. this is one reason i like expedition style trips like the Rug Road.

- extra "things" to see: bonus points for things to explore outside of the vehicle. old buildings, abandoned mines, dilapidated cars, or even a fruit orchard in the middle of the desert.

- trail challenges: i admit it, even if a trip has everything above, i still need more than a 2WD dirt road. i want to have to concentrate once in a while and do some problem solving. i want the adrenaline that comes during a challenge and the sense of accomplishment afterwards.

it seems most people responded that they want a reason to be on the trail beyond just running a trail (scenery, geological/historical interest, etc.). most people also said they will run whatever difficulty level, so long as they don't damage their rig. that last part is key though - the capability of each person's rig can vary greatly and everyone's experience/skill level is also different, both factors affect what type of trail you can run without significant risk of damage.

everyone's definition for "difficult" changes as they gain experience and mod their vehicle. when you first start out, anything needing 4-LO on a stock rig seems difficult. i guess you can't appreciate every level of a mountain until you've stood at the top. i'm certainly not there yet, but these days i do have a much better understanding of the nuances between even a half point on the 1-5 scale than i did when i went on my first couple organized "Jeep runs".

just remember that no-one here is going to give you too much grief for taking "the easy line", or backing out if you realize you are in over your head. we will encourage you to go just outside your comfort zone though, otherwise you never learn anything new!

- exploration factor: i love to explore the unknown. points if the trail is new to me, major points if it's an obscure trail that looks like hardly anyone ever visits it.

- varied terrain and landscape: keep me guessing! take me through a tight muddy forest, throw in some river crossings, then on into the grasslands and maybe even further to the edges of a desert with high speed trails; finish it off with a rock crawl in a wash... that's a perfect trail. this is one reason i like expedition style trips like the Rug Road.

- extra "things" to see: bonus points for things to explore outside of the vehicle. old buildings, abandoned mines, dilapidated cars, or even a fruit orchard in the middle of the desert.

- trail challenges: i admit it, even if a trip has everything above, i still need more than a 2WD dirt road. i want to have to concentrate once in a while and do some problem solving. i want the adrenaline that comes during a challenge and the sense of accomplishment afterwards.

What he said...

What he said...

X2! Nicely written K!

X3, couldn't have said it better myself.

I like trails that go somewhere--old mine, ghost town, ruins, canyon, whatever... Don't enjoy difficult for the sake of difficult, but don't mind having to get past an obstacle in order to explore. My favorite is to just go and see what's out there. And get back with Jeep intact.

Exactly...