Sign in to follow this  
Number7

Most memorable trail

What was your favorite or most memorable trail you've run? George:cool:

Mine is the first time we ran the Rubicon in 2007. It was the most difficult trip and yet the most satisfying time I'd ever had. It was pure adventure: George and I lead but we'd never been there, it rained 2 days on the trail making navigation on the granite extremely difficult, Chrysler International led a group the through one day and we had a great time watching complete newbies drive a parade of brand new stock Rubicon JK's and collecting prime quotations such as "Rock? or rock-rock?".

After the 3 day adventure at the hotel in Tahoe, we ordered pizza and sat outside with our friend George eating, drinking and reminiscing. After a while I said good night and went in. As I was falling asleep I could faintly hear George and George talking about the trail, and their quiet conversation was punctuated with "Dude", "Duude!" "DUDE!". :cool:

Maybe this will change in Aug. when we do the Rubicon but for now it is all the trails near Silverton. The scenery is spectacular and there is always a cool destination.

Most memorable is Upper Terminator at Table Mesa, because it was very challenging to me the first time I ran it. I did it with one of Nena's classes (Barlow Jeep School for anyone not familiar with her programs) very early in my Jeep ownership and was both terrified by the obstacles and amazed that we made it through and only got stuck once (operator error...). That experience did more than anything to make me feel comfortable with my Jeep and subsequent trails. Incidentally, Nena let me tag along this year on a return to UT. Much less intimidating this time around, but I still got stuck--just in another place. At least I got to try out my winch. ;)

My favorite trail so far is difficult to decide. I really enjoy Mingus Mountain and Four Peaks for their length and changing scenery and spectacular views. Neither is challenging, of course, but I do enjoy them. (A Chevy Malibu was sharing the Four Peaks trail with us last weekend.) I think I'd pick the Rug Road as my favorite so far, though. Really cool to be around all the mining activity at the start, then to transition to the high plateau country before dropping into Aravaipa at the end. It was a nice mix of moderate challenge, lots of ruins, all kinds of exploration opportunities, and amazing scenery. (And no Malibus that I recall.)

Ouray was most memorable, spectacular scenery. Moab is my favorite, so many choices, so many challenges; slickrock.

I'll most definietely like The Rubicon trail best. Just need to run it first.

I kind of remember this guy trying to kill me on Yankee Boy Trail. So I guess that was my most memorable one and the trail is really cool too.

I'd have to say Chiva Falls, because it was my first. A few weeks after moving to Tucson from Michigan, my new "friends" took me out all alone (I was the only vehicle) to do an "easy, beginner trail". I was a 4WD virgin and as I hit a few rocks, bent some of my fenders (I had bought the Jeep with 35"x14" tires and only 1.5" lift), I kept thinking to myself, "This is an easy trail?" Meanwhile, they were snikering from the back seat. Yep, Chiva was a bitch, but I fell in love with her that day and have loved her ever since.

I'd have to say it's "The Back Way to Crown King" for me. Whether it was the time we went up with snow on the ground at 99th and Happy Valley, the first time I took Big Jake out and tore a sidewall halfway there, the time I went up with some friends from work and checked out Kentuck's Cabin and nearly rolled my Trooper down a cliff, or the time we took the quads up in the snow is all kind of a tossup. But if we're naming most memorable trails, that's the one.

My first off road trail is my favorite. Big Eye mine trail in the Castle Dome mtns near Yuma. I had bought my jeep on a whim, I had never owned a 4wd vehicle or been off road before. I read about the trail in the Massey book and wanted to go. I got some friends with 4x4s to join me. I wound up leading. I had no idea where I was going, no gps, no ham or CB, but I did have lunch with me.:D I learned a lot that day, both about the jeeps ability and mine.

Trail was easy enough to follow. We had a great time exploring the mine and the buildings, I have been back many times. I made a point of going one last time before we moved to the Verde Valley.

I like trips that have destinations like mines, ruins or history involved.

My favorite pic from the trip is attached.

Curly

1228054085_bigeyemine.jpg.af68c547b22ea8ef8e5d56acf9065ee7.jpg

I had bought my jeep on a whim, I had never owned a 4wd vehicle or been off road before. Curly

Me too. My current jeep is the first non-lowered vehicle i have ever owned.