Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Arizona Trivia Questions

I like my answer better, but I guess that kept Oatman booming until I-40 was built and bypassed it.

Route 66!

That's probably pretty accurate, but not the correct answer.

It was originally called Vivian for the Vi-vian Mining Co. but the name was later changed to Oatman. The United Eastern Mine struck another vein and stayed in business until WWII when the government closed the mines as non-essential to the war effort. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/oatman.html

No, this is not correct either.

Okay, well the answer in the book is the Tom Reed Mine, but unless you google that name, you don't find it per se. When I google Oatman I don't get this answer.

Next question: A cave on Salt River where soldiers massacred dozens of Yavapai Indians in 1872 is called what?

Skeleton Cave

Skeleton Cave

Oh so close! :cool:

Skeleton Cave, also known as Apache Cave and Skull Cave

http://www.apcrp.org/SKELETON_CAVE/Skeleton%20Cave%20Massacre.htm

Yeah, I also found this: "Apache Cave was the name used until around 1919, when the name was changed to Skull Cave by Southern Pacific Railroad (SPRR), for publicity purposes. Apparently upon the completion of the SPRR's Bowie-to-Globe track, the term "Apache Trail" was unilaterally applied to what had been known for years by locals as the Tonto Trail. A professor Abner Drury of Berkeley, California, was hired by SPRR to "reconstruct" place names (which would appeal to travelers), resulting in brand new names usurping the historical ones, and the institutionalization of any number of romantic tales about what had supposedly occurred at those places. Skull Cave is the site's name on 1937 and 1975 USDA Tonto National Forest Maps, as well as the 1964 "Mormon Flat Dam, Ariz." USGS 7.5-minute map... In Spite of originally having been called Apache Cave, and being officially rechristened and still shown on maps as Skull Cave, the majority of non-Yavapai writers discussing the site in recent years have been using "Skeleton Cave," and the name recorded on the National Register of Historic Places is "Skeleton Cave Massacre Site".

It looks pretty cool - you can get there either by boat in Canyon Lake and a short hike, or you access it via Four Peaks Road to Cottonwood Camp end of trail followed by a 3+ mile hike (and hike back out). You can see it from the water in Canyon Lake.

DrawMediaObjectData.aspx?mediaObjectId=12838&maxWidth=640&maxHeight=480

Next question:

A telephone company building in downtown Phoenix was the first to use refrigerated air conditioning in what year?

Westward Ho! I love that building. I hear it is a ghetto inside now. Makes me sad.

Next question:

A telephone company building in downtown Phoenix was the first to use refrigerated air conditioning in what year?

Westward Ho! I love that building. I hear it is a ghetto inside now. Makes me sad.

What? That's not the answer.