Sign in to follow this  
Eugene

Radiator Replacement

So the original stock radiator in my 2000 TJ (4.0L) has started to leak from where the plastic tank crimps onto the core. Should I consider an upgrade or just replace with an OEM radiator? What experiences have any of you had with all-aluminum radiators from Griffin, Drake Offroad, or Champion in dealing with the Arizona heat?

Through my research, replacing with stock(OEM) has almost always faired the best overall for most Jeepers. While an aluminum radiator has some desirable qualities, they tend to develop cracks over time from the typical Jeep wheeling(i.e. vibrations from washboards, etc. and the hard mounting.) Unless you get one like Novak that sells them with a "cradle" mount, I would lean toward an OEM design. Big racers with lots of money run aluminum because they can afford to replace them regularly, and actual design there rigs around/with the alum rad in mind. Most do not think about it, but vehicle manufacturers spend big money and plenty of time research what is ideal for proper, safe, and reliable operation of said vehicle. We recently had a member who was trying a variety of aluminum radiators and fans with no relief in sight for a cooling issue, until they went back to an OEM design. Hopefully they can add their expertise.

What Grunt said. I found out that the OEM radiator cools the best. Do not buy a China after market radiator. George:cool:

Last summer, the radiator on my 2005 4.0 engine developed a hairline crack in the plastic header. It had over 200,000 miles at the time and it NEVER overheated whether I was in the High Sierra, the Arizona desert or in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. After learning about all the problems others have had with aftermarket radiators, I decided to stick with the factory radiator and I have had no problems with it. BTW, the factory radiator is aluminum except for the plastic header.

I see a lot of chatter online boasting their performance but based on experience living in Phoenix, i would avoid the Champion "CSF" series or any aftermarket radiator with metal tanks for that matter.

Factory Mopar radiators are made with plastic tanks that i believe disopate heat more efficiently than copper.

You can purchase replacement mopar radiators here: http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2000/JEEP/WRANGLER/?siteid=213948&vehicleid=1363441&diagram=T037110&diagramCallOut=1

Thanks all for the advice. It appears unanimous. I'll be picking up a new factory radiator.

Successfully replaced the radiator with one from the dealership. For someone who's not exactly a "car guy," I'm impressed (with myself) about how easy it was. Replaced the fan clutch while I was at it since it was acting a little strangely.

Way to go! Hope it works out for you.

Successfully replaced the radiator with one from the dealership. For someone who's not exactly a "car guy," I'm impressed (with myself) about how easy it was. Replaced the fan clutch while I was at it since it was acting a little strangely.

Nice! Let us know how this all works out for you. :rolleyes: