Sign in to follow this  
matt@expaz

Storms at Cherry Springs

Here's a few pictures of the storms that rolled in after sunset on our trip to Cherry Springs. We sat and watched them from our rock outcropping. What a wonderful evening. This was my daughter's first attempt at capturing lightning. I think she did an awesome job. All are untouched (no Photoshop), except one. Can you tell which one?

IMG_1988_zps314124c2.jpg

IMG_1993_zps3affe899.jpg

IMG_1964_zpsf8ff46a2.jpg

IMG_1968_zps574b7db3.jpg

IMG_1958_zps8778f5ab.jpg

IMG_2037a_zps81dacc3b.jpg

IMG_2032_zps8c1429e3.jpg

IMG_2028a_zps3903ccb4.jpg

IMG_2010_zps18c7f03a.jpg

IMG_2015_zpse935eb6a.jpg

IMG_2016_zps1ea888e0.jpg

IMG_2002_zpsd23a91b5.jpg

IMG_2005_zps3bf37881.jpg

IMG_2037starship_zpsbfcca178.jpg

These are awesome Matt! Tucson has some crazy lightning, doesn't it? I remember sitting on our patio watching storms when I was a kid. Our backyard faced toward the Catalina's near Speedway & Houghton Rd. Incredible...

That's cool. George:cool:

Pretty cool what you guys did with the flashlights. Very imaginative.

Cool pictures Matt.

These are awesome Matt! Tucson has some crazy lightning, doesn't it? I remember sitting on our patio watching storms when I was a kid. Our backyard faced toward the Catalina's near Speedway & Houghton Rd. Incredible...

We lived in a house on Speedway when i was born. My dad still has a green "Speedway" street sign hanging in his garage. Memories.

The storms seemed bigger and more often back then. I remember July and August almost every day a nice storm would roll through. Now, we are lucky to get that once a week.

Oh, and one last picture to share....:D

darthjeep_zps35921547.jpg

I wanna know how to capture the lightning. Are those all timed exposures?

I wanna know how to capture the lightning. Are those all timed exposures?

Yes, we set up a tripod and took 15 - 45 second exposures depending on the light and f-stop. And it's all about getting lucky.

As a student at the U of A I worked at the lightning observatory that was located on the grounds of the old USGS magnetic observatory behind what is now Udall park. As Matt said, big storms almost every night back then. (1969)

td

Yes, we set up a tripod and took 15 - 45 second exposures depending on the light and f-stop. And it's all about getting lucky.

great photos!

what camera? and would you mind looking at the exif data on the very first one and letting us know settings you used for it?

thanks!