Sign in to follow this  
Offroad Passport

6/14 - 6/15/2014: Mogollon Rim & Moqui Lookout near Strawberry, AZ: 4x4 Easy, Dry Camping

P1050599.JPGIMG_1159.JPGP1120058.JPG

6/14 - 6/15/2014: Mogollon Rim & Moqui Lookout near Strawberry, AZ: 4x4 Easy, Dry Camping

Take a break from the summer heat and enjoy a weekend exploring a bit of the Mogollon Rim area. This trip is all about the scenery and some relaxing times camping with good people! There will be time for some optional hikes, and we plan to visit the Moqui fire tower. If the weather allows we can climb the tower and see a huge amount of Arizona. This trip is suitable for a stock 4x4 vehicle. We'll travel mostly graded forest roads, with one dirt path that might be worthy of 4wd!

Meeting Time/Location:

Meet at 10AM on Saturday 6/14 at the intersection of Forest Road 300 (Rim Road) & Highway 87. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/ocAC2

From the Phoenix area you can take Hwy 87 through Payson to get there, or I-17 to Camp Verde and then the 260 and 87. Either way is about a 2 hour drive depending on traffic and exactly where you're starting.

The turnoff for FR 300 is easy to miss. It's 2.5 miles north of the 260/87 intersection and there is a green sign just before it that says "Knoll Lake, Rim Road". The actual intersection has a small brown sign that simply says "300".

Itinerary:

This trip is all about a relaxing and meandering drive along the Mogollon rim and surrounding forest! Any high clearance 2wd truck/SUV should be able to make this as it's mostly graded gravel road, and a few dirt paths. It should also be suitable for full-size rigs.

- After meeting Saturday morning, we'll drive along the rim where you can see a huge portion of Arizona far below you. We'll stop at a viewpoint or 2 so everyone can take pics.

- General Springs Cabin should make a nice rest point for lunch. Those that want to Hike to the abandoned railroad tunnel can do so as well. The hike is supposed to take about an hour round trip. My understanding is that the terrain is a bit rough though. More info here: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=97

- We'll head a few miles away from the rim edge to a beautiful section of the forest for camp where there's plenty of room to spread out. This is undeveloped tent camping, so bring anything you need. Also, it's just above 7,000 ft in elevation so it could get cold at night.

- Sunday morning we'll break camp around 9am and travel generally north-west in a very roundabout route.

- Most of the trip is just scenic forest, but we do have a few points-of-interest planned including Barbershop Canyon at East Clear Creek and the Moqui Lookout Tower. The lookout tower is one of the few manned fire watch stations still around. If it's not windy the ranger should allow us to climb up and get an awesome 360 view.

- We'll eventually rejoin hwy 87 near the Blue Ridge Ranger Station (Map: https://goo.gl/maps/cDMFh). After airing up we'll part ways and everyone can head home at their own pace.

- Note: Bring a lunch for Sunday as well. I'm not sure exactly when we'll get back to the 87, but I'm guessing early afternoon.

CB Channel: 4

Ham Simplex Frequency: 146.46

Trail Leaders:

TheKSmith

Number 7

dzJeepchic

Attending:

scottL

Guardrail

Bradywgn71

lofreqjeff

gearhead

Lichen

jkur

91AZXJ

Curly

CAVU2

AZ_Ray_X

Reybie

SlyDawg

Ob1Jeeper

andrewnei

Red Baron

Eugene

LarryK

Just reply to this thread to sign up!

In, you guys have been busy with the calendars lately:)

I'm in! Are you guys doing Kinder Crossing or Horse Crossing while you're there (both hiking)?

I'm in! Are you guys doing Kinder Crossing or Horse Crossing while you're there (both hiking)?

Since this is nearly a year away, we can certainly consider some hiking while we're there. :rolleyes:

Please put me down for this.

Thanks

Please add us.

I'd like to tag along on this one too

I'm in....thanks!

If I am home, I will be there. Maybe have a XJ to beat on by then too :)