Sign in to follow this  
Number7

TJS Trail Welder

I built this trail welder. This is made with readily available stuff, each unit can be built for around $120. It's an arc welder to be used with 2 batteries, but could be used with 1 battery in a pinch (but it would be 12v. vs. 24v.).

IMGP1527.JPG

We'll have this on all our runs from now on.

George :cool:

Nice. Will there be a more detailed write-up? What cost so much? It just seems you could do that cheaper than $120.

Nice. Will there be a more detailed write-up? What cost so much? It just seems you could do that cheaper than $120.

Virgil, George says the cable is the high dollar item here. It's really thick and the price of it varies; he said he might have estimated too high; he had it around the house and doesn't know how much it costs right now.

The other stuff (vice grips, lead battery connectors, arc rod holder and some soldering supplies) he estimates around $25.00 - $35.00 About 12' of cable he estimated at $90.00.

This kit is going into theksmith's WJ, but he's building another set to go in our rigs. He said he'd do a more detailed write-up when he makes that one.

d :rolleyes:

Thanks. That makes sense. Heavy guage wire isn't cheap. I always thought about making something like that out of jumper cables, but never thought of actually putting a rod holder on the end.

better yet, will he be willing to make and ship (cost permitting) some for those of us who don't have the means to make our own ? :D:D

I like how they are compact and take up minimal space to store.

better yet, will he be willing to make and ship (cost permitting) some for those of us who don't have the means to make our own ? :D:D

I like how they are compact and take up minimal space to store.

I'm going to do some testing with this setup to make sure it works good. If it passes my test I will build some more welders and get the price nailed down. Please stand by. George:cool::D

I would buy one of these if I knew how to weld. I have a small welder, 110V. My welds are about three degrees below "farmer weld" ( not repairable with a grinder) and, in addition, I set my shoes on fire. It was interesting. :)

Good morning George,

Are you going to have a demo class on how to use this welding system?

Eye protection?

Best regards,

Mike

I'm going to do some testing with this setup to make sure it works good. If it passes my test I will build some more welders and get the price nailed down. Please stand by. George:cool::D

Standing by..:coffee:

I got around to making 2 more trail welders today and I tried them out. Here they are:

IMGP2041.JPG

One I'm keeping for myself, this one is for sale for $93.00 (that's my cost) cash & carry, shipping extra based on your zip code:

IMGP2042.JPG

Here's a little demo.

1. Trail Welder hooked to 2 batteries:

IMGP2044.JPG

Prepped a piece of thin-guage scrap metal with negative lead clamped on:

IMGP2045.JPG

I used 6013 1/16" thick Campbell Hausfield welding rod:

IMGP2066.JPG

As you can see, it burned hot & I should've gone a little faster:

IMGP2047.JPG

Next I tested a thicker pipe, approx. 3/32" thick, with good results:

IMGP2050.JPG

IMGP2048.JPG

IMGP2049.JPG

I also tried welding with a coat hanger, that sucked. I tried using #4 bailing wire, which it turns out could be done, but it splattered a lot. I also tried a thicker rod than the one I mentioned above, but it seemed to be too cold, it didn't melt very well (maybe with more batteries it would've been better). The rod I showed in the write-up worked the best, it's the one I recommend for use with the trail welder shown here.

The trail welder takes a little bit of getting used to. It wants to burn faster than my home welder. It's still a great tool to have on the trail, it could get you off the trail when a welder is needed. I noticed an additional benefit; these could be substituted for jumper cables in a pinch.

George

:cool:

P.S. Campnfever has first dibs on the extra set shown here.