Sign in to follow this  
AZBillyBoy

AF River Crossing & Dodging Raindrops

Here's where I had my problem. When I got there, the water was maybe another foot higher and running very fast:

Had to drive all the way back to the Sheep Bridge and out through 7 springs. I was racing the sunset which happened about the time I got to the junction of 24 and 269.

Wow it looks so easy but so does putting together that %(*& Ikea stuff until I have to actually do it!!!! :) Guess I would always opt for the long way around. I watched those Jeeps in the 2nd video and I think my front end would be too far underwater for my taste but I don't have much lift in the front end. It's all in the back because of the weight I carry around. (Not MY weight but the weight of the stuff I haul with me!). At least if I take the long way I can wait until sunset and fire up my KCs!!

Wow it looks so easy but so does putting together that %(*& Ikea stuff until I have to actually do it!!!! :) Guess I would always opt for the long way around. I watched those Jeeps in the 2nd video and I think my front end would be too far underwater for my taste but I don't have much lift in the front end. It's all in the back because of the weight I carry around. (Not MY weight but the weight of the stuff I haul with me!). At least if I take the long way I can wait until sunset and fire up my KCs!!

Yeah, KC's underwater is always a cool site:D

... I am a COWARD when it comes to water snow or ice.

too many people don't exercise enough caution with water crossing - better to be safe than drown!

Update to this thread.

Went out yesterday (09/02) and worked down near Bishop Creek all day. Around 10 big clouds popped up and kept the sun off my head and this lasted until around 2 when bright blue sky was dominant.

I noticed clouds reforming around 3 and by then I was ready to quit anyway. So I casually meandered back to the 44E/269 junction when I noticed a BIG storm developing East, maybe near the Sheep Bridge or even further. I casually moved westward thinking I could easily outdrive it. I got to a high point on 269 and took some neat shots of the storm

[ATTACH]1835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1836[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1837[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1838[/ATTACH]

Oh yeah. Only one other vehicle was out there. Some hardy soul in a Jeep was heading East INTO the storm. Wonder if he made it ok.

[ATTACH]1839[/ATTACH]

I kept going Westward, stopping at 44 West/269 to see what was happening behind me. The storm was getting closer. Okay no worry because I still thought if I kept driving I could easily outrun it. So I headed towards the AF River. It started raining lightly. I looked in the rearview mirror. EEK!!! It was not only following me, it was getting closer!! So I drove faster. Can't go very fast because that road is SOOOO bad. I kept looking in the mirror and over my shoulder and it was still gaining on me. Almost exactly like last year.

I started thinking about this

LOL It's from "The Mummy" so if you want, skip it. But I was looking to see if there was a face in the clouds as it gained on me!!!! Then right before I started down the hill to the big ranch and the river crossing, it made a 90 degree turn and went north!!!!

The AF River crossing looked like this

[ATTACH]1840[/ATTACH]

Quite a change from two days ago! As I got out to I-17, I looked back and saw ANOTHER storm brewing back east. Looks like a mushroom cloud. Yes, there's Turret Peak framed in the photo as well

[ATTACH]1841[/ATTACH]

And finally when I got out to I-17, I got a nice surprise. i was tempted to go back and look for the proverbial pot of gold because I could sure use it!

[ATTACH]1842[/ATTACH]

After everyone left I took a drink of courage

. . . very nice pics and report, and just for the record, I'm not too afraid of snow or mud, but a water crossing higher than my hubs also makes me worry about wheel bearing and tranny damage.

Just for the record - can we use that phrase any more since records are :confused: obsolete - my "drink" was non-alcoholic!

An update. I went out on 09/14 and was curious to see what damage the big storms from the previous week might have left.

From the I-17/Bloody Basin Road (FR 269/AF 9269) eastward to the top of the beginning of the flat Agua Fria plain there was evidence of a lot of water damage from the rains.

The biggest surprise was at the AF River crossing, where Old Man River left a big deposit of sand. I went over it in the darkness despite my KCs it was unnerving. Someone must have dug the passage through because the picture shows a big sand berm! The County will eventually meander out there for their Bicentennial grading and remove all the evidence! But for now it sure is an impressive display of how much water must have run through that location. It was only a trickle when I passed by!

[ATTACH]1854[/ATTACH]

Across the AF plain the road had been very muddy but now it was dry and returning to it's semi-concrete state, complete with a lot of new ruts.

The day was pretty decent. Not a lot of clouds until around noon when things started to "pop." All of this with only a 30% chance of rain. I was out working on 44 again and I got to catch a lot of good shots of what is probably the last decent storm of the Monsoon season :(

The best pics I think are a series charting a storm growing over Turret Peak.

[ATTACH]1855[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1856[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1857[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1858[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1859[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1860[/ATTACH]

The Monsoon season is the best for really neat weather shots. I always hate to see it go. The winter storms are such a drag. Plus it's always cold !!!! and dreary! When I got back out to I-17 there was a big storm north of me dropping lots of rain and massive lightning shots in the direction of Mayer.

A P.S. from earlier. The week prior I was leaving and at 4:30 found myself at the junction of FR 269 and FR 44 (East). The radio was barking about TWO traffic wrecks on I-17 so I opted to go the long way around through Seven Springs. I figured it would give me some useful info about travel times in case I ever got stuck on the wrong side of the river after a rainfall.

Travel time from the above location to the beginning of permanent pavement north of Carefree: 4:30 pm to 7:00.

FYI it takes about 45 mins or maybe an hour (travel times vary according to how much carnage you want to inflict on your rig) to get from FR 44 E to the Agua Fria River. If you were to make that transit time only to find out the River was not fordable, you would then have to go back the way you came (another 45 mins - 1 hour) and then add the 2.5 hours to Carefree. So it could be along day!

And I went right by Humboldt Mtn. I read about it here. Looks like a big space pod. Not much time to explore because I was running against sunset.

That time lapse over Turret Peak is COOL! Looks like the AF was really running there for a while, that's quite a bit of sand there.

Regarding the drive back to Cave Creek, that is a long way. But if the AF is running deep and you insist on being home that night, it's nice to know you can.