Sign in to follow this  
Scramblin_Jim

MetalCloak flat fenders

I'm considering going with the the JK Metal Cloak fenders to gain enough room for running 37" tires without a lift. Haven't done a lot of research yet on them or if I need to get different rims for the 37" tires. I do have a SuperChip programmer to readjust for the bigger tires. Wonder if I will need to regear so I'm not loosing power. The Rubicon has 4:10's.

Anyone have any experience with them? Or other insight to this approach?

Here is the link to their web site: http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-JKU-Wrangler-Bumpers-Fenders-Lifts-s/139.htm

Clearance would not be the fenders alone would it? What about off set of the rim in order to allow room for full turn? Also, even if you gained clearance via the front fenders, what allows 37s to fit within the rear tire well?

damnit Jim, i'm a shadetree mechanic, not a bodyshop!

i like their "Optional Aluminum Inner Fender Well" to keep a factory look and help keep mud/debris out of the engine bay.

here's a writeup you might find interesting, not about those flares specificly, but still someone trying to use flares alone to fit 37's. it sounds like you would need to do some additional trimming and certainly some bump-stopping since you are going to actually wheel it and need it to articulate: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31183

i read a few other forum threads on JKOwners.com and it seems like the consensus is that "yes you can" run 37's like they claim, *but* to really use it offroad then it would be better with a 1 to 2" lift in conjunction with the flares.

one other thing you might consider is axle strength. i know you aren't a "just floor it" kinda guy, so it might not be a concern, but at 37's you start seeing most people run C-gussets and axle sleeves. the C-gussets are a minor part and labor cost, but the labor on the sleeves is more intensive. in fact i think you have to take all the axle guts out to do sleeves, so it would make sense to re-gear at the same time. the guy in the article i linked also mentions a beefed up track-bar bracket.

you're also going to start wearing out components faster with the additional stress of 37's - unit bearings, trackbar bushings, even TRE's. not trying to dissuade you though, i do think your rig would look bad-ass with some big meats and a really low COG still!

I helped a friend install Nitro axle sleeves on a JK front axle (D30) and you don't have to open the diff at all. Just take axle shafts out, coat the sleeves in grease, and hammer them in. Didn't take long at all. We were all surprised how easy it was to do. The C-gussets took much more time to install just because of the welding.

For front axle armor look into the Artec front axle kit. Comes with upper and lower C's, full length truss, and lower control arm skids. I love mine, but it does require welding to get installed.

Well I can't make up my mind what to do. :confused:

Limited budget is causing me to do my upgrades in a piecemeal fashion. :o

1. I need new tires. I have about 8/32's left on the stock BFG KM mud terrains. I don't want to put on the same size but go bigger. The questions is can I go with 33" or 35" MTR's with my stock Rubicon rims. (I got 10 of them - that's another story - don't want to go into it now). That is why I was looking at the Metal Cloak flat fenders to gain clearance for the bigger tires. But I'm told I will still rub due to the rim offsets. So is flat fender a waste of money and I should just go with new tires and rims?

2. If so, then how big a tire rim combo can I go without doing a lift?

3. With bigger tires come rubbing and loss in articulation (assuming) if I keep the same ride height and stock rims. But just how big a tire can you put under the stock 2010 JKU Rubicon before your tearing up tires?

4. I figure on going with MTR's but others seem to do just fine with AT's. AT's seem to have less rubber on them but last longer, are lighter and therefore would provide in theory better MPG. For argument sake, I am only considering BFG's. Is this a no factor in the equation, e.g. whatever the tire measures out to in inches, it don't matter if it is a MTR or AT.

5. I want to get a lift, but not too tall. My wife has trouble getting in now with the stock height. I like the idea of smallest lift possible and largest tire possible to keep CG low. Therefore I am leaning toward the AEV 2.5" lift and 35" tires.

6. To get bigger tires I guess I really need new rims due to the offset needs to be correct. Is that true? People aren't just upgrading rims because they don't like the looks of the stock rims?

7. With bigger tires come the problem of where to store the spare. I think any thing bigger than 33" will not fit the stock spare tire mount. That means $$$ for a tire carrier. Or do you deflate the 35" tire and wedge it onto the stock mount. Another possibility is to get the AEV rear tire mount but without their bumper. I'm told the tire mount will install onto the stock bumper.

OH MY HEAD IS HURTING!!! :eek:

I know you all have struggled with these same set a problems. How did you solve it without taking out a second loan on your home? Go ahead tell me the truth, I think I can take it. :D

ANALYSIS PARALYSIS - AKA Scramblin Jim

Jim,

I recommend that you find a mounted 37" tire and pick it up .......

or the next time I do a five tire rotation on the TJ (12.50 x 35") you

can come over to the house and touch and feel how heavy they are.

I thought about 37"s at one time, but no more .. I am at my physical

limit.

But if you do go 37"s, flares are the last mod you will need ....

Good luck,

Mike

My guess from working at a tire store for weight wise on a steel wheel 37 12.50 r17 100 lbs for your avg run of the mill offroad tire. If you want to do toyo open country mt start adding more weight. But they do last in some nasty trails compared to other tires out there.

I am running the Terra Flex 2.5" lift and Toyo 35x12.5 MTs. I have not had any problem with the lift or tires. The only problem with the tires is there is no way I can take off or put the tire on the carrier by myself (old man/bad back). I don't go off roading by myself anymore and on the highway I have AAA. I have the 2 door JK but our wheel wells should be the same. I also put steps on for my wife (5') to get in and out of the Jeep. Stop by any time if you want to check out the lift and tires.

damnit Jim, i'm a shadetree mechanic, not a bodyshop!

tumblr_static_931314_747257981957376_161639995_n.jpg