Sign in to follow this  
tucsonWJ

Superchips programmer for the 4.0?

I was looking into the superchips programmer for my WJ with the 4.0. Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

For one reason to adjust the tire size, I know there are other ways to do it but if I can increase my mpg at the same time and maybe get a few hp, it may be worth it. I'm not sold on it, just want some input from others that may have used them.

Not real sure how they getting more MPG and HP. Normally it is one or the other. Most of the time changing the engine programming will decrease the life of the engine and related components. I would suggest just changing the speedometer gear in the t-case if the WJ has one. It is cheap (about $40) and will take about 5 minutes to install.

WJs use tone rings on the axles for the speedometer. Nothing is ever simple on one of these! :D

I used this universal speedo correcter. Theksmith said it worked great on his so I bought one too. It was easy to install.

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

sdrd_3m-500x500.jpg

Does it help with mpg or hp?

Freakin WJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it help with mpg or hp?

Well... kind of. What it did do was return my shift points back to normal. When I added the 33" tires to mine, the shift points were really late because my speedometer was off by about 10%. By using the SpeedoDRD, I calibrated my speedometer via GPS on my phone and got my shift points back to where they were before the taller tires. This returned some of my performance and MPG.

A Cold Air Intake and a decent exhaust system will return more performance than a chip on the 6 cylinder. Let it breathe. Think about re-gearing your axles too. I'd go 4.10 at minimum.

from my previous experience with the XJ's 4.0L, these are the ways to improve performance, in order they should be considered:

- intake (put an AEM Dry Flow filter on so you don't have to oil it), personally i hated cleaning them and went back to stock air box and throw-away filters

- cat & back exhaust (borla, or some other mandrel bent one with a larger tube, less restriction in the bends, and higher flow cat & muffler)

- a chip or programmer is popular at this stage, but only coupled with the above mods is it likely to give you anything, i'd skip it and spend my money on the bored TB first though

- a bored throttle body

- performance headers (banks or similar)

keep in mind the following:

- each of these mods only add a very few HP and only when you combine a bunch of little gains do you get something you can actually feel.

- the later year 4.0L's were considered the "HO" and already tuned better than the older ones to eek out a few more HP, so you actually get less accomplished with each mod than you would on an older 4.0.

as Chris mentioned, the cheapest way to adjust for tire size is the SpeedoDRD, but there are a couple other options besides it and the Superchips. without doing any other performance mods, i think the Superchips will underwhelm you and be mostly a very expensive speedo adjuster. just my $0.02

Hey Kris, do you have the link to your install of the speedodrd?