Sign in to follow this  
K7VZ

Ham Radio Info

Thanks George:cool::D

The classes are painful at best. Bamse and I sat in one for 6 Saturdays and we learned more studying the questions the day of our test than we did all class. From what I remember Slider also had a moderate experience with the class. I am sur eit is all in the instructor though.

I think if you could make quick instructional videos, that would be an incredible asset!

thanks for posting all that info in one place!

i'm making january/feburary my goal to finish studying and get my certification. i already bought a radio so i can start listening to the lingo, still have to get it installed though!

i, like grunt, found the class to be painfully slow, and am much more of a cram-session type person. i know that sometime in the last couple years there was a one-day class with certification test at the end - that sounded like a good idea. i think it was put on by some part of the homeland security department to help get their people all trained and certified, but was open to the public as well.

I'm also not a fan of the classes, but some people learn better in that environment. I personally consider the minimum amount of training to be buying the book, study content and questions, and pass the test. Yes, you can download the questions and memorize them enough to simply pass the test, but you will be a poor amateur radio operator. If interested in ham radio, I would like to see people make more of an effort to learn good operating practices.

"The No-Nonsense, No-Code Technician Class License Study Guide"

I have found the KB6NU study guide to be very effective. My son used this study guide to pass his tech license exam at age 14. At 50 pages, it is a nice compromise between trying to read the more traditional ham radio books and only studying the question pool. Best part: it is free!

http://kb6nu.com/tech-manual/

Thanks, that self study guide was great. After I read through it I got over 90% on the first practice test that I took. I've now taken the practice tests enough times that I usualy only miss one if I miss any at all. I'm pretty sure that I can now pass the test with no problems.

I found that I understand most of the topics, but there are a few questions that I was just memorizing the answers. So being the curious person that I am I just bought the ARRL Technician study guide from the local Barnes and Nobel. I've only just gotten through the introductory sections, but am anxious to get to the meat sections.