Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Open to All: Mud Springs Trail 4x4 Difficult

Mud Springs Trail

Saturday, January 30, 2010

2754612050100085335S600x600Q85.jpg

During our inspection of maps at the Tonto NF review meeting we noticed that some changes are on the slate for Mud Springs Trail. It looks like it might be closed from the top of the difficult rocky hill, which would mean no more picnics at the miners' shack. We want to get at least one more run in before this happens!

Meet: Shell / Circle K on Shea (just W. of Hwy. 87 on S. side of street)

Time: 8:00 AM, Plan for an all day run, there's no telling how late we will be out.

Bring: Lunch, water, camera, tools, spare parts & clean underwear (just in case). eek.gif

This trail is rated as Difficult. The worst parts are at the end where there are some washed out and rocky sections. It's not a loop; you come out the same way you go in, so you have to do the difficult parts twice. The trail ends at a mining shack, which is a nice lunch spot if you make it that far in time for lunch.

Rig Recommendations: At least a little lift, 32's, lockers. theksmith did this trail in his

WJ without lockers, so it can be done, but it is tricky.

2460526880100085335S600x600Q85.jpg

Trail Leaders:

Number 7 & dzjeepchic

Tailgunner:

TheKSmith

Attending:

Scottl

Bilt4Comfort

Ob1Jeeper

Tentatively Attending:

Life's a Jeep

JKGoose

oh yeah! count me in.

This trail is awesome, though I have not ever done it in a Jeep. Very difficult on 4x4 quads. It's really slick decomposed granite...very much like the FR42 at Bartlett. There are several very steep and off camber sections that will leave stains on your upholstery.

I am marking myself as a yes...unless the weather is bad...then I would strongly suggest staying off of this trail.

On another note...you may want to think about limiting the number of rigs...if only because there are not really any safe places to turn a group around if need be. It's been a few years...but once you start the roller coaster...I don't recall any escape route whatsoever.

Mark me down as tentative. I went out to run Mud Springs a few years ago and only got to the first major hill when my buddy had some transmission problems. We ended up turning around. I've been dying to get back out there.

this is a great little challenge with one big rock that poses potential body damage (especially when wet).

the last time we went was the first time George or I had made it past that big hill. we had both been there before in jeeps and quads at different times and yet never made it to the end before that day!

Looks like we have a good group shaping up. Bilt4 had a good point about the weather, if it is raining we won't do this trail. I don't think the group will be to big, this aint the VJC. Can't wait. George:cool:

I'm in.

... There are several very steep and off camber sections that will leave stains on your upholstery.

This means I can't go... I like my upholstery very clean. :D