Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

"Ultimate" Trail Welder & Jumper Cable Kit

Sweet kit! Being diesels have two batteries, this would be te perfect kit! Will be stealing your ideas if you don't mind.

course not, that's why we all share here!

My experience has been 36v works way better if you can get a 3rd battery. I'm not a pro, but do have experience welding if you wanted me to come over some time.

My experience has been 36v works way better if you can get a 3rd battery. I'm not a pro, but do have experience welding if you wanted me to come over some time.

thanks Virgil, i might take you up on that once i get some more practice in. right now i'm just trying to get more consistent, then i can worry about the finer points of technique.

so i found that 6013 is definitely easier to work with than 6010. however, 7014 is even easier. 7014 makes just keeping an arc much, much simpler. i'm going to continue practicing with 7014 just to try and become more steady-handed, then move to 6013.

here are some practice welds with 1/8" 7014, 24v, on 1/4" metal bar:

P1000442.JPG

P1000441.JPG

the slag is heavy, but you can see in the last pic how easy it comes off. the pic was after just a couple light hammer taps.

Assuming you are right handed, hold the electrode in your right hand. Make a fist with your left hand and "punch" it against your right hand. Hopefully that makes sense. Using your right hand "rested" on your left fist will help you steady better. Your welds look like you are moving too fast or jumping around a bit.

I agree. You're moving too fast. The weld looks "stretched out". Try slowing down.

6010 has a tendency to stick if you aren't used to arc welding. 7018 is far easier to use and isn't near as messy. I agree with Bradywgn, whipping it too fast so the puddle is spread out.

Awesome write up man, that is a slick setup.

battery welder quick reference

i cleaned up the notes on post #2 of this thread and attached a MS Word document version to make printing out a cheat sheet for your own kit nice and easy!

see the updated post here: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29795&postcount=2

most of the info is gathered from various resources on the internet, which often conflict one another! so definitely open to feedback from folks that have experience with stick welding, especially using batteries.