Sign in to follow this  
tucsonWJ

High lift vs Scissor lift jack?

My two cents...

Carry a Hi-Lift jack as it can also be used for various recovery purposes.

(Side note: If your vehicle has tons of articulation, do not assume that a Hi-Lift will work for changing a tire. Make sure to also carry a bottle jack or scissor jack to use under an axle. It's easier and safer than ratchet strapping suspension components in combination with a Hi-Lift.)

That was my reasoning for looking at this particular jack. By the time I have the high lift and straps set up the question is which one will fail first. Both with far than desirable outcomes. I will still always carry a high lift jack for a multi purpose tool but it's not my first choice (or even my second or third) for changing a tire on he trail. Wanted to see what other people are using on the trail?

That looks cool, but nothin a bottle jack can't do... I always carry a hi lift and bottle jack

My only issue with the bottle jacks I have found is the height compressed. If the tire is flat w/ a 16" rim that doesn't give you very much room to fit a bottle jack in, that's why I thought the afore mentioned jack might be a better choice (or even any other scissor jack for that matter).

Your factory jack should still work. If you really want a scissor style snag one out of a minivan in a junkyard.

There was no pricing on their website without asking them so my guess is its a pretty penny.

I sent them an email for the pricing, it looks more substantial than a factory type scissor jack. If it's more than $75 I'm out, which it looks like I could very easily be. I just want to be able to hook up my 18v impact to the jack. As far as the factory jack I can't stand it, it is good for setting pinion angles, but I think that's it.

I bet they will want around 150 for that at least. Scissor jacks are good, but the great thing about bottle jacks is that they can be used for so much more.

Anyone have a good bottle jack they would recommend?

Anyone have a good bottle jack they would recommend?

Lowes sells a good one made by kobalt, I like it, I keep it in my truck at all times, never fails me yet.