Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

tranny swap in 03 WJ!

also picked up both filters from the dealer today. then went to pepboys where i got 14 friggen quarts of ATF+4, some hose to extend the breather, a drain plug add-on for the pan, and some RTV.

thanks KlayKrusher for helping me live the new transmission out of the back of MiniMe AND loaning me your ATV jack!

it's supposed to rain Fri & Saturday... BOO!

Wow:( bummer.

Good luck K, I'll be around this weekend & i have an umbrella too.

Wow:( bummer.

Good luck K, I'll be around this weekend & i have an umbrella too.

thanks dude

any reason to avoid a gasket on the tranny pan? my old one and the replacement both have RTV, but i noticed they do actually sell a gasket...

i pulled the pan on the new one today and cleaned the surface on the tranny side. the pan is dented, but didn't touch the filter or anything. i'll just swap in my pan after it's in.

I just use black Ultra RTV. Never had any leaking issues. Install the pan and let it sit for about an hour for it to set up before adding fluid.

While its out of the car you could put a Transgo kit in. one of the upgrades is that ring that regularly fails. i know your car has done a lot of work but might stop the problem from happening again.

i think i liked the engine swap better...

spent about 5 hours getting all the necessary stuff removed including the old tranny. due to my valve cover oil leak, everything was just disgusting. constant grease goblins in the eye, ruined clothes, dirty tools, blech!

then KlayKrusher came over (thanks dude!) and helped get the new transmission under the jeep and up on the dowels. we got 2 bolts in it and then called it a night. that took about 4 hours. alot of time spent moving jacks and blocks around and talking about the best way to finagle things.

hopefully this afternoon i can get most of it put back together to the point i can fill it with fluid and test that it sounds right running and shifting at least. might not get it back on the road till tomorrow.

some pics..

new tranny and all the junk that had to come out:

CIMG3136.JPG

the Clayton crossmember finally drops. i had the entire weight of the t-case and tranny on it, and still had to beat the crap out of it with a sledge to get it to come out!

CIMG3132.JPG

old tranny and t-case. yes, i took them out as a unit. no, that was not a good idea.

CIMG3137.JPG

fingers crossed the new one works correctly!

Now you know why I didn't want to do the swap twice on mine.

Now you know why I didn't want to do the swap twice on mine.

100% understand! if this salvage one doesn't work, it's getting towed somewhere!