Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

tranny swap in 03 WJ!

Does not look like fun. I hope this is the fix. Now you have a younger engine and trans at least.

you know where i live.

^^^^ <-- this!!!

I'm on my 4th tranny, the only good part is I had a local shop replace it the first time and it was their headache after that. Well kinda mine to b/c I had to keep taking it back but it's good now.

you know where i live.

thanks Rut!

this one seems to be working so far. drove around quite a bit tonight and nothing exploded or spewed.

still to do: route extended breather line up into engine bay, install front driveshaft, install belly skid and rock lights.

i'm going to take it to the car wash tomorrow and clean the underside well. i think the front output shaft seal on the t-case is leaking but everything is too nasty to tell right now. if it is i want to replace that before i put the driveshaft and skid back on.

i'm also embarrassed to say but i have 2 identical small bolts left and i have no friggen idea what they go to. they are black hardened metric machine thread with integral washers, pretty small, i think a 12mm socket head and maybe 1" long. i know for sure they don't go on the bellhousing, inspection plate, or torque converter. i had them in the same bowl as the bolts for the Y-pipe flanges, so they came out of something in the front area... d@mnit!

Did you bolt down the dipstick tube at the bottom where it enters the trans? I know there were a couple bolts in that area that held bracket plates for the O2 wiring harnesses. Do you have all 6 bolts in the cast reinforcement piece between the trans and engine? There was also ground straps between the body and exhaust/trans on mine in the cross member area.

thanks Chris - actually i figured it out, no bolts left over after al! i realized as i was cleaning things up just now that i used the 2 bolts in the new tranny's shifter cable bracket, so i had my 2 original ones still. whew, i was feeling really bad about that!

Don't feel bad, it ain't done if there aren't a few spare parts left over.

though i should mention this in case someone ends up here while doing their own swap...

when i was first ready to test this thing out the other night, it wouldn't start. turns out i wasn't actually in park because the shifter arm on the donor 04 tranny was different than my 03. it seemed at first that i could just re-index it 1 position, but they aren't just splined - they have a wide notch cut at a specific place. all i had to do was swap my arm onto the salvage tranny and it was all good. just found it interesting that they changed something like that between years.

CIMG3141.JPG

(the pic is of the 04 one)

So the new tranny has been working fine? I was doing a little searching/researching after you and Bradywgn71 were both having trans issues, I didn't find a whole lot of shops offering rebuilt/remanufactured 545rfe's. Jasper came up but without any price.