Sign in to follow this  
Desert Scruff

Boots on Shocks

I have installed Bilstein shocks with the supplied rubber boots. I was talking to the guys at Moab 4x4 who worked on lots of Jeeps and have a good reputation and they say they never install the boots and recommend I cut them off. They maintain the boots trap mud and water and hasten the end of the shocks. They also say the shocks have a self-cleaning valve. I'm wondering what the thinking here is?

I also agree

I guess I could have added that removing the shocks makes me wonder about the rear shocks that have the rod entering on top, the reverse of the front, and if that, without those boots, would allow water/mud to sit and/or enter there?

I do not use shock boots because they trap water and rust the top part of the shock. George:cool:

I too agree. I've had shafts rust and ruin perfectly good shocks because the rubber boots kept moisture trapped.

I have installed Bilstein shocks with the supplied rubber boots. I was talking to the guys at Moab 4x4 who worked on lots of Jeeps and have a good reputation and they say they never install the boots and recommend I cut them off. They maintain the boots trap mud and water and hasten the end of the shocks. They also say the shocks have a self-cleaning valve. I'm wondering what the thinking here is?

I do not use shock boots because they trap water and rust the top part of the shock. George:cool:

Looks like some companies will not warranty their shocks if you use 'em. Shooter McGavin found out the hard way: ttp://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?506425-Rough-Country-won-t-back-lifetime-warranty-if-you-use-their-boots!