Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

JK Wranglers explode when driven on sand?

Have you seen this? It's the first I've heard of this problem, so I googled 'Jeep caught on fire' and got a lot of youtube videos. Anybody else hear of Jeeps going up in flames? :eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If A Wrangler Explodes In The Middle Of A Beach And Jeep Doesn’t Care, Does It Still Go Boom?

1-WySogDM.jpg

"Pretty sure this isn’t what Jeep is referring to with their “It’s A Jeep Thing.” Maybe the Ford Pinto, but not Jeep.

So what happened? Whose fault is it? I have no idea myself – I just write articles on the Internet – but another guy said he witnessed the same thing happen. Also on the beach.

User novacog said, “The fire dept said they got these calls fairly often from jeep catching fire on the beach. Something about the transmission over heating. You’d think they would fit some sort of fail safe to shut the car off if the transmission is overheating so much its going to cause the car to ignite.”

I was ready to accept the diagnosis that Jeeps are simply allergic to sand, but then user DriverKey settled it:

“The ATF in the automatic transmissions gets so hot it starts to boil. The boiling oil comes up and out the dipstick tube, and lands on the header where it catches fire. It’s actually incredibly common (a quick search on Google will turn up tons). Many of these were just driving down the road.

Some Jeeps have a trans temp light to tell you when the oil is getting too hot, but in a lot of cases it doesn’t come on until the oil is already boiling. Jeep is refusing to accept that it’s a problem despite the number of them that are catching fire."

Ariticle source: http://www.viralnova.com/wrangler-explodes/

So there's this whole thing going on in the Jeep community online today about Wranglers catching on fire. One of the guys at 4x4Podcast dug up this article on autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/06/china-jeep-wrangler-fire-investigation/

"It's been some time since we've heard anything about fires related to the Jeep Wrangler (foreign or domestic), but it sounds like the go-anywhere SUV could be in hot water once again in China. Bloomberg is reporting that the Chinese government is ordering Jeep to investigate the matter and, in the meantime, also recommending Wrangler owners to not drive their vehicles in "extreme conditions" due to a "relatively high risk" of catching on fire.

There is no indication as to how many vehicles or which model years are affected, but the previous fire problems in both the US and China – which led to investigations but no recalls – were traced back to automatic transmission fluid leaks. The article, however, does not say what the potential problem is this time around as Jeep has not released a comment on the matter. The official notice, in Chinese, can be found"

:wow:

I constantly monitor my trans temperature. Before I put an aux. cooler on I was getting a "HOT ENGINE" warning. I have heard of others having the problem and taking it back to the dealers where they just raise the threshold on the warning which I would think would just raise the incidence of overheating trans. fluids to the point of causing a fire. IMHO

Down in Corpus Christi, TX, a looooooot of my friends got those hot oil lights very frequently down on the beach. Didn't know it could lead to this, though. That's nuts.

TJ's Best they made;)

Bzzzzzzz...Wrong. I would say YJ was, but with those darn headlights they will never get the vote. :D

TJ's Best they made;)

Bzzzzzzz...Wrong. I would say YJ was, but with those darn headlights they will never get the vote. :D

You both fail. There is nothing cooler than a CJ7. :cool: